FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By Vern
Its like like germinating from seed in cn plants. Sterile environments for maximum success. But just how were orchids bred in the past without agar and bleach?
By cpman
I remember reading that orchid seeds need to have a symbiotic relationship with a certain types of fungi before they sprout and that parent plants already hav these fungi in their roots so back in the day people use to sow them around the base of an adult orchid and keep wet but this is a very ineficient method...
By dimitar
Click here

"A variation of this method is to boil a new terracotta pot for fifteen minutes to sterilise and when cool, fill three quarters with sphagnum moss and peat moss. Cover the surface with a new clean fine cloth, tucking the edges down the sides of the pot to seal the moss under the cloth. The surface of the cloth is then sterilised with boiling water. A couple of roots from the parent plant are cut into small pieces and spread over the cloth. This provides the source of the mycorrhizal fungus. The seed is now spread over the cloth between the root pieces from the parent plant and the pot covered with clear plastic to keep the seedlings humid. The pot is sat in a saucer full of water kept filled to keep the pot moist. The pot and saucer is then put in a warm bright spot where the seeds should grow with the assistance of the mycorrhizal fungus from the parent plant roots. This method has the advantage over seeding in the parent plant that the seeds are not at risk from being washed from the pot when watering the parent plant and does not require the parent plant to be continuously watered."
Is this a steal?

That larger one is quite nice for that price, yes,[…]

Is This What To Look For?

I have decided since my first attempt worked out s[…]

Hello from Arkansas!

Welcome man!

I dont know if this is too much but can you also a[…]

Hello, I would like to request D. capensis "[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1666. I'll PM[…]

New cultivar potential?

This plant always has something in its mouth :rol[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!