FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By plant_obsessed
I recently purchased a Drosera capensis for my son's birthday. While ok in its sealed container, it soon dried out. In a moment of inspiration, I turned over a vase and put it on top of it. Within fifteen minutes it was again sprouting dew!

The problem, though, is that this was my wedding vase and so I had to find a replacement! Finally settled on a cylindrical fish tank, which seemed to work pretty well.

I started to worry, though, as I wondered if it was getting enough air trapped under glass like that. Also, I began to see white fungus growing on some of the older prey items. So, I tested out a McGyver-ish idea I had...

...but it ended up making the air too dry again and the dew disappeared, so I scrapped it. Now I'm back with what I started, but I'm still worried about the white fungus! Here's the latest picture I've gotten showing a good amount of fungus growing. Is this is a problem?

By roarke
Without air circulation or if you don't open your windows for fresh air, the white mold will appear. If it's spreads, cut the leaf close to the tentacle.
Within fifteen minutes it was again sprouting dew!

This is temporary dew, composed primary of water, because you changed its conditions. Soon it will make good sticky dew to catch insects. After a wile, remove the transparent container, if you have enough moisture in the air. More than 50 % will be a starter.
By plant_obsessed
My wife and roommates all like it cold and so the air is almost always on. I don't know the actual humidity level, but it can't be very high.

As far as the dew it produces, it may be the temporary variety, but it's good enough to hold what I throw on there. The insect at the end of the leaf there was a large mosquito. It really tried to escape, too!
By plant_obsessed
The fuzzy one behind it was some kind of small, black parasitic wasp - maybe in the Ichneumon family.
By plant_obsessed
I had the idea to place it in a tank with an ultrasonic humidifier giving it a steady stream if cold mist, but I just don't have the room, or funds at the moment, for that to be feasible. :/
By plant_obsessed
I took the cover off this morning and let it sit in the sun uncovered for an hour. That seemed to do the trick, as the fuzz was all wilted by the end of the treatment. Fragile stuff!
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!