FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fishandplants
Hey there!
Is there a difference in light requirements for nepenthes, depending on if they're lowland, intermediate, or highland? It seems to be that highland can ultimately tolerate more.
What are good standards for a bulb? I've seen that people recommend 6500K, but I've also seen people say they can use 4100K . . . Watts? 2 to 3 watt per . . . ? :?: I think I've seen recommendations for T5 and T8.
Also, I know some fixtures can give off lots of heat; is there a kind that doesn't do this?
By Cory
If you don't want heat I think the best thing you can do is a T-12 40W
I have all three T-5HO, T-8 and T-12
My T-5 is hard to get close enough to my heli terrarium without making it to hot for them and my house is kept at 70*F in the summer.
The T-12 barely effects temp.
The best light for you to use basically depends greatly on your setup. As its a balance between heat/light especially with terrariums.
I also would check growing conditions with people who are successfully growing the imparticular plants you want to grow as they can give you more precise advice.
Most of my neps are growing in very very bright windows . Bright enough to grow cacti and do just fine after they get adjusted to it.
In my personal experience the biggest problems I have had with artificial lighting isn't not being bright enough because you can always move the plants closer. It has been excessive heat.
HL plants can take more light yes, but not usually the heat that comes with it. It's a balancing act between light and heat.
It's hard to give better advice until its known how you plan to grow your plants.
By fishandplants
Thanks, Cory.
I have a few hybrids and intermediates that I grow in my window in my bedroom. It's a northeast window, so it doesn't get the best light (the N. reinwardtiana seems to be pitchering well, but I think some of the others would like more light. Their leaves are bright green instead of the light red when I got them). I was hoping to be able to help the along.
No terranium.
By Cory
A 4' T-12 40w with cool white daylight bulbs will work just fine and if they are not to big it should be a good supplement for all of them. It's the cheapest way out.
You can use a T-5 HO if you choose to but in my opinion it isn't necessary.
Just put the plants about 6-8'' below the light and the coloring you desire will come back in a little time.

This is my Miranda the pic was taken the same day I took it out from under my T-12. It stays in the window now as it was getting to big for my shelf.
Cory liked this

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!