FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By bisnicks
Hello,

So my parent's have a pond in their backyard. It's pictured below:

Anyways, across the street from them in a fen (it's called a bog, but really is a fen). It has a small population of Sundew and Sarracenia Purpurea ssp. Purpurea growing in its alkaline conditions.

As a carnivorous plant lover, I was wondering if I could possibly incorporate a S. Purpurea ssp. Purpurea into their pond over near the filter area (cement shelf in the second picture).

The pH of the pond is at an 8.5. The pond has a filter that utilizes UV and everything. They have several fish (Koi, comets, etc.).

Do you foresee any problems with this? I've never grown bog plants in a pond before.
By steve booth
Hi bisnicks

Lovely idea, but unfortunately it doesnt work for too long. The alkalinity of the water and the nutrients derived from the fish 'poo' or uneaten fish food or plant compost / plant matter decomposition, slowly kills the plants, even with a filter. They may be Ok for a year or maybe two, depending on conditions, but they slowly decline and eventually die.

Could you put a small bog at teh side of teh pond in more controlled conditions?

cheers
steve
Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Question about flytraps

Last question (probably) when i repot, wash off th[…]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

I must say, I'm especially curious about how we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!