FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Moderator: Matt

By Greenthumbs Garden
Is a TDS meter similar/same as a conductivity tester what you would use for measuring water hardness on aqueriums?
By Mikey3288
Nope, speaking simply TDS is the total of solids dissolved in the water. Conductivity measures (in this case) the water's ability to conduct electricity. They also use different measurements, TDS uses ppm (parts per million) while Conductivity uses µS (micro-Siemens). Hope this helps!
By parker679
Mikey3288 wrote:Nope, speaking simply TDS is the total of solids dissolved in the water. Conductivity measures (in this case) the water's ability to conduct electricity. They also use different measurements, TDS uses ppm (parts per million) while Conductivity uses µS (micro-Siemens). Hope this helps!
Actually I'm pretty sure a TDS meter is just a modified conductivity meter. As in it measures the conductivity and uses a conversion factor to give you the PPM reading. This is why a TDS meter won't indicate if there are non-ionic dissolved solids like sugar.

Edit: Here is a good easy description on what a TDS meter really does.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-04/rhf/feature/
By Mikey3288
Ahhh very interesting read. I didn't know how TDS meters actually worked, just what they measured. Didn't want to pass off bum advice, thanks for the correction :)
By parker679
Mikey3288 wrote:Ahhh very interesting read. I didn't know how TDS meters actually worked, just what they measured. Didn't want to pass off bum advice, thanks for the correction :)
:mrgreen: No problem. I've given my fair share of bad advice before.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!