FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By srybouturcouch
So i'm fairly new to pitcher plants this purp is my first one and last week since it was nice and sunny out i left it out in the backyard for a few days when i brought it back i noticed some odd brown spots on only one of the pitchers. Are these natural? could it be from all the bugs it caught last week? Is the pitcher just getting old? Should I begin to panic? lol

The spots in question or well maybe its more like one spot but it looks like there maybe two smaller ones forming a little below the big one
photo (9) by Matt Schultz, on Flickr

photo (12) by Matt Schultz, on Flickr

Lots of bugs in there
photo (11) by Matt Schultz, on Flickr

photo (10) by Matt Schultz, on Flickr

i can take more pics if needed too.
By beckhamlim24
Was it in direct sunlight previously? If it is in a shade place before, i think it is sunburn. I am not a expert at Sarracenia so i cant say much though
beckhamlim24 liked this
By jwbates26
srybouturcouch wrote:Are these natural? could it be from all the bugs it caught last week? Is the pitcher just getting old?
A combination is most likely the reason for the spot. I can't see them very well and I'm at work where they block most host sites for pictures, so can't get it bigger. A lot of older pitchers that are full of bugs will begin to develop spots from the bacteria accumulating and rotting out the pitchers. Completely normal. It also could be from a larger insect inside the pitcher that damaged the inside by chewing on it trying to escape. Whatever it is, there's nothing to panic about. New pitchers will grow and you won't even notice it.
jwbates26 liked this
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!