FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Nick_
Alright so I froze a spray bottle with water. Discovered that the stem froze into the ice. My idea is that you place the stem into the media as the water melts, the stem I'm using is too small to stand upright but I'm sure there are bigger ones, even so you can just ditch the stem and keep the bottle upside down in the pot let me know what you guys think, here's some pictures to help with understanding:
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (174.54 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (88.63 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (148.81 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (222.92 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (159.74 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
By David F
Good idea, you don't need to stick it directly into the soil however, maybe use some sort of siphon or long straw the water can flow to multiple outlets?
By Starchy
It's not as much cool water that Darlingtonia crave as much as flowing water. They like to have a consistent supply of well-oxygenated water. In the wild, I have seen research that shows Darlingtonia exposed to fairly warm soil conditions (86F), and they are fine.
By David F
@Starchy

I've read a TON of research on darlingtonia, I feel like there is no real consensus!

I've yet to hear of a method that works consistently well for everyone, I'm pretty sure it's location, location, location.

I'm pretty confident your ice-drip system will work, it certainly has more capacity than.. "ice cubes."

@Nick are you planning on obtaining darlingtonia to try this experiment? If not I'd be willing to try and let you know how it works!
By Starchy
Yeah, I agree that there is no common consensus. Everyone has their own style that seems to contradict another's style. Another interesting thing that I found in some of my research is that Darlingtonia can live in areas with harder water (125ppm), and in soil that is more alkaline than acidic (source: sarracenia northwest primary research).
By tommyr
I go through nothing special for mine. Several tops waterings a day with air temp. rainwater. No chilling or anything. My seed started cobra plants are 3 years old now. The other plants are 5-6 years old now.
By Nick_
David F wrote:@Starchy

I've read a TON of research on darlingtonia, I feel like there is no real consensus!

I've yet to hear of a method that works consistently well for everyone, I'm pretty sure it's location, location, location.

I'm pretty confident your ice-drip system will work, it certainly has more capacity than.. "ice cubes."

@Nick are you planning on obtaining darlingtonia to try this experiment? If not I'd be willing to try and let you know how it works!
Did you see the darlingtonia in the last picture? :P
By David F
Too blurry ;)
By Starchy
Nick_ wrote:

I thought that was a VFT. Oops :oops:

It looks very nice. Where did you get it from?
By Nick_
Starchy wrote:
Nick_ wrote:

I thought that was a VFT. Oops :oops:

It looks very nice. Where did you get it from?
It's a coastal, I seem to be one of the only ones on the forums who has one, got it from Peter D'Amato of the California carnivores nursery
Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!