FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By aquasoul99
Hi everyone! I have a farhami that i bought from ebay in december. at the nursery it came from it was grown outdoors so it was dormant when i got it. it just started to grow again last week and the first pitcher its grown is 100% bright red. I was just wondering if this is normal because i know its meant to be two thirds green and red at the top with white spots. the thing is the remainder of growth that was there when i got is all green. it didnt have any pitchers when it arrived just the three cut ones in the photo that i havnt touched at all and the two phylodia that are there. also the same thing is happening to the other sarracenia planted next to it. the new pitcher that appeared two days ago is also 100% red which is weird compered to the pitchers it already has. also if someone can tell me what species the one on the right is that would be great. i have them planted in pure long fiber sphagnum moss inside a terrarium. high humidity (i dont know the exact number because i dont have a gauge) 8 hours of daylight plus 6 hours artificial light from a 250 led white and blue grow light. i,m also using rain water. they are with my napenthes alice sundew venus fly trap and makado gold. :) one last thing the terrarium during the day is about three inches above a radiator its not set high enough to get really hot inside but does keep the humidity up. oh and i know its not a flower stalk because up close i can see the top of the pitcher and the leaf that run down the center of the trap also i think its too young to flower. thank you everyone :)
Attachments:
a view of all five cp's inside the terrarium sorry about the poor image quality but i used my ipod
a view of all five cp's inside the terrarium sorry about the poor image quality but i used my ipod
IMG_0162[1].JPG (74.14 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
close up of farhamii from above
close up of farhamii from above
IMG_0160[2].JPG (88.52 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
farhamii on the left with the red pitcher and the unknown one on the right. you can see the second red pitcher just under a trap on the on the right.
farhamii on the left with the red pitcher and the unknown one on the right. you can see the second red pitcher just under a trap on the on the right.
IMG_0161[1].JPG (64.03 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
By parker679
If you're talking about the little guy in the center I wouldn't worry about it.

You really can't tell a plants coloring for sure with just a small pitcher. Wait for it to get it's spring pitchers to be sure about its color.

Also, changes in growing conditions effect a plants color.
By jwbates26
Almost all of my sarra do this. Their new pitcher is completely red until it starts to inflate then loses most of the red pigment and depending on what variety it is, it regains the pigment in bright light after it has aged a bit.
Suggestion about plants

Thanks for the info. I dont get them from Greece, […]

Rain

Btw, if you have somewhere to put it, a 32-gallon […]

Too bad you moved away, you could come get these t[…]

Sundew in forest

Why D. capillaris? D. brevifolia is the sundew sp[…]

Oh, that is a solid size. Wonder what it'll look l[…]

Succulents Question

Hello beautiful people! I have a quick question. O[…]

Welp I lost the original post. :shock: Anyhoo I […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!