FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rehrlich
Hey all,
I'm more of a dionaea grower, but I do have one small regia. Is it necessary that it's put into dormancy? If so details would be awesome. :lol: Thanks!
By Lock
I'm sure someone on the site will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that Regias need dormancy. I've read that they can die back somewhat during Winter, but I think that it depends on their growing conditions. I've read that some people grow them without any dormancy and that others see dormancy-like behavior every Winter. All I can find in "The Savage Garden" (Page 164, by Peter D'Amato) is this: "In winter Drosera regia greatly reduces the size of its leaves, and occasionally crowns die back, but the plant returns from its thick roots." If you grow Dionaea and are used to handling their dormancy, you could try keeping your Regia with them in the Winter and treating it more or less the same. That's what I would do anyway, just to be safe.

Good luck growing your Regia. It would be cool if you posted photos. -Lock
Lock liked this
By Jimbok3
they basically die back to the roots in winter, and restart in the spring. It is best to grow them indoors because they don't really need dormancy. Hope this helps! :)
Jimbok3 liked this
By Arizona Flytrap
Hello, my name is Jason and I know that this post is a couple weeks old but I'd thought I'd give you my two cents worth. I live in the Phoenix area and grow mine out doors most of the year. As the last two said it can depend on where you live that determines what it will do in winter. Mine now are in full sun and my largest one that last year had about ten inch leaves have shrunken to about half. However, they are still very dewy and are capturing insects. Our nights are into the low 40's to midd 30's, January and February are our cold months here. We may see temps down to low 30's to upper 20's but days are midd 50's to 60F. I sure am looking forward to spring to see how big it will be! This has become my favorite Drosera. I hope this helps. Jason
By David F
I've heard that this species is stronger with a winter dormancy, but it may be a non-drastic change to insight such a dormancy. I wouldn't put it through dormancy until I felt comfortable with its size.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!