FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
I got this plant (my only nepenthes) last summer and this is its first time pitchering. I noticed that the immature pitcher was soft to the touch and could easily be contorted. Is this normal?

I grow it on a north facing windowsill with a piece of tissue to block out the full sun (its still quite bright). I gets 5 hours of direct sunlight a day. Average temps are around 24C and 30% humidity atm. Due to the low humidity of the room, i keep it in a small fish tank with a piece of plastic over it to trap humidity. The media is 100% LFS.

Could the trouble be the high temperatures its probably getting in the crude terrarium?

Otherwise, does the plant look healthy? I'm planning to move it outside approaching summer, as humidity and temps are good then.
Attachments:
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG (23.07 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0003.JPG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0008.JPG (20.38 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
By neplover101
Nice Plant!
I hope it opens up and catches some bugs!
Good luck.
Neplover101
By snapperhead51
Fatty move it out side will more than likely solve all the issue , your climate even now will be OK , storming coming your way from here , mate so watch out , nearly blew us away here last few days ! I suspect that its not liking your grow area at this time ,so try some thing different and see if that works , many times i had to move plants into different locations in the green house to get the best possie they like , then they just take off
J
By neplover101
Yeah, watch out for those winds, here in melbourne it has been very windy past few days, even up to 120km winds.
Yeah listen to johns tip.
Thanks
Neplover101
By fattytuna
Actually, it only started pitchering when I gave it the fish tank. But then again it was cooler then. Yesterday was unnaturally hot (probably why it was floppy) so i might keep it in the tank for a few more days, at least until the trap opens. I don't think it dislikes the conditions since it has a new tendril thats rapidly ballooning.
Thanks for all your input. And the pitcher magically hardened over night, so I guess it was yesterday's extreme temps.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!