FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Travs
so this has been bothering me for a while. As i said in a topic here yesterday i am new to all cp's but sundews in particular. About a month and a half ago i purchased my first sundew from cooks carnivores, i had watched many sundew videos on youtube and i saw this video of a Capensis x spatulata http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906g0cjL0po
heres my question.. i purchased the sundew from cooks but the one i got was labeled both on the website as well as the tag that came with as a Spatulata x capensis. Maybe this is a really dumb question but my plant is too small now to really tell are these the same plant?? is there some difference in the order of parentage or something? and if so would this apply to all cp's so that i may not make a similar mistake in the future? thanks for any help
By Ras
I'm pretty sure when written correctly the first species listed is usally the mother plant, aka the plant who held the seeds,
but this could also have just been a common mistake
Last edited by Ras on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ras liked this
By Tony C
Ras is correct, traditionally the pod parent is listed first and the pollen parent second. Not all growers follow that rule though, and I remember reading that the ICPS will accept either order. Dean's tags can be a bit sloppy at times, probably depending on how busy he is at the time. I have several identical plants from him with the parents in different orders, variety names left off, and odd abbreviations. :lol: In most cases it doesn't make much difference which parent is which as far as appearances go.
Tony C liked this
By fattytuna
I don't think it will be possible to identify what it is through visual means. Hybrids exhibit varying degrees of traits from both parents i.e. one seedling might exhibit more capensis traits than another. The safest way, I would think, is to email the supplier and ask them.

On a side note, I hear capensis x spatulata more commonly than spatulata x capensis.
bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Oh yeah I am definitely going to clean that pot.[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Starter Incredible Redhulk?

Hi Hi! Did anyone happen to take pictures of their[…]

Cape Alba

My only Cape “Alba” sundew that surviv[…]

Wolfcub258’s grow/wish list

Currently growing: Dionaea Muscipula: B52 Colasan[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!