FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
ImageImage
I need an advice. All are from root cuttings, from only one plant, the stronger one that died after making flowers. Two of them are starting flower stalks. Because my previous CP didn't get any seeds and died after, i was thinking to cut them and not let them wear down my CP. And then plant them in the media, but i will see if i'm getting lucky this way, because no luck, in the past, as you can see in the below thread ! What do you think ?
Code: Select all
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/how-to-propagate-drosera-capensis-albino-from-flower-stalk-t15406.html
By fattytuna
Flowering does not usually wear down drosera like it does to venus flytrap. Sure, the next few leaves might be a bit smaller, but most sundews will rarely flower itself to death. If I were you I would leave it as they both look pretty healthy but I'm sure you know your plants better than I do. D. capensis can be easily propagated through leaf/root cuttings anyway.
fattytuna liked this
By jamez
fattytuna wrote:Flowering does not usually wear down drosera like it does to venus flytrap. Sure, the next few leaves might be a bit smaller, but most sundews will rarely flower itself to death. If I were you I would leave it as they both look pretty healthy but I'm sure you know your plants better than I do. D. capensis can be easily propagated through leaf/root cuttings anyway.

Venus flytraps don't flower themselves to death either unless they are unhealthy.

*uneven eyebrows*
By Ras
god I love green moss.
beautiful pot and plants! They are obviously healthy and I wouldnt be surprised if you see them put out 2-3 stalks at a time and still look healthy and grow vigorously
you don't need to cut them
fattytuna wrote:Flowering does not usually wear down drosera like it does to venus flytrap. Sure, the next few leaves might be a bit smaller, but most sundews will rarely flower itself to death. If I were you I would leave it as they both look pretty healthy but I'm sure you know your plants better than I do. D. capensis can be easily propagated through leaf/root cuttings anyway.
there are some of the even more common sundews that can be affected by flowering, capensis not so much but I see my intermedia cubas push out like 5 stalks at a time for a period of a 2-3 months and they die if not fed enough, ofc only after setting literally thousands of seeds though
burmannis are another widely grown drosera that can die after flowering , but mainly only when grown outdoors
drosera hartmeyerorum has extreme issues with flowering and dieing and I think it was labeled an annual because of it (its a fairly new species), as well as issues with having minimal amounts of seed and baring unviable seed, etc etc
By fattytuna
jamez wrote:Venus flytraps don't flower themselves to death either unless they are unhealthy.
I meant flowering in venus flytraps slows it down more than drosera capensis. An unhealthy vft is more likely to die from flowering than an unhealthy d. capensis. Perhaps I should have started sentence two on a new line...

If be careful about putting it against the shed. I[…]

Drosera seedlings moldy

Hit them lightly with a fungicide. I use Bioadvanc[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Uh. That's not where that goes.

Are you feeding that thing any weird fertilizers[…]

bog garden

Under $20 for just the bog pot, or under $20 for t[…]

Please identify

I would say they're either spatulata or toka[…]

Weird Venus Flytrap

Someone bought a DCXL from them. Here's the phot[…]

Hey, everyone!

Welcome :D :D :D

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!