FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Tr33x0rs
I bought these "3-4 year old" Darlingtonia on Ebay for $27 shipped. I have been growing VFT's for about a year and have great success with them, as well as a nepenthes. I always thought that the Darlingtonia looked awesome although I hear they can be difficult to grow. The only time that I have ever seen them for sale is the seeds only, that is why I decided to give it a shot, I'm not patient enough for seeds, but would like to try my luck.

I live in Florida so I'm not sure what people recommend. My VFT's are all in direct sun from about 12-8pm and do really well. I know to acclimate the plant before giving it lots of sunlight but do you guys think I'd do better with it outside, or in an east facing window (not preferred by me). I own and have read "The Savage Garden" and they say that it may beneficial to have cold water running on their roots at night, so I have some refrigerated distilled that I have been pouring on them nightly, as well as bringing them into my house which i keep at 73 at night. I don't know if this is completely silly or anyone else suggests it.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think! Thanks!
By jwbates26
I grow mine inside so I can't comment about growing them outside. But in my opinion, these are a lot more hardy then what people claim. I left a fan blowing on my over the weekend and dried the sphagnum completely out. Every pitcher was limp when I got home. Believe me I was a little upset at myself. I soaked the plant for an hour and then left a little water in the tray and the next day the plant was back to normal. I didn't lose a pitcher on it. The temperature has been up into the high 80's. You're probably thinking, "why is it in the upper 80's in your house?" answer being, I'm to cheap to turn the air conditioner on yet. Anyways, As long as you don't let it dry out when its extremely hot outside and keep watering it with cool water, I don't think you'll have any problems with your new plant. I'm sure someone with experience growing them outside will tell you what you want to know.

Good luck and keep us update.
By hackerberry
The plant is looking great. I believe that cooling the roots will help but not necessary. I think it only applies to the "Mountain" variety. This one looks like the lowland one. I had great success with artificial lighting and east facing window but you can acclimatize the plant slowly to full sun.

hb
By plantman1001
do you guys think I'd do better with it outside, or in an east facing window (not preferred by me).
I would agree with you on that one, you should grow them outside in full sun if possible.
own and have read "The Savage Garden" and they say that it may beneficial to have cold water running on their roots at night,
I definitely helps the plants out on a hot day !
And you should actually do this once during the day and once at night, the cooling of the roots is good for the plant.
If it gets above 90 I put them under a tree for the day and water it more often with cold water.
I grow them outside with great results !( the only way to do it )

Hope I helped ! BTW nice plant !
By Daniel_G
Well, if that's how it works, then i have an undead Darlingtonia

I don't pour cold water on it once a week, let alone once a day, the day temps easily get above 30 C It doesn't get much shade from midday sun, but it still pitchers, and makes stolons as usual.

They aren't as tricky as people make them out to be.
The only thing i can say, is cooler nights, and a very good dormancy.
By GothicJackalPaws
I just planted my Darlingtonia seeds yesterday.

Those you just bought off of eBay-- look spectacular!

Darlingtonia don't like having warm soil, so you have to figure out a balance between giving them sunlight and keeping their roots cool. The people here before me seem to have a better idea on how to do that, so I'd listen to them. :)

Very cool plants, by the way!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!