FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By roarke
What do you think is the best method ? Do water it trough the tray method or from above ? My pot is 5 and a half inch in hight and is seems that i can wait up to 4 - 5 days than water it again. Peat moss do retain for many days water if mixt with perlite ?
By Grey
I've found that watering via the tray method encourages my plants to grow longer roots, which helps them cope better if I'm unable to water them for an extra day.

Peat moss will still retain a good amount of water if mixed with perlite. Perlite will help slow down the compaction of peat moss, which can lead to root rot due to water retention. It's highly recommended to mix perlite or silica sand with peat moss as aeration is important.
Grey, Grey liked this
By jwbates26
The top of the soil may dry out a little but if you go deeper into the pot it will still be moist. That is why it encourages the plants to grow longer deeper roots. Just need to be careful with younger plants that don't have a well developed root system.
jwbates26 liked this
Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!