FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CPcaregiver
How can one tell(If at all)how old(Generally speaking)a Sarracenia is based on rhizome size?(Or length?)
You see,I ordered a Medium-near flowering size plant from PetFlyTrap 2 weeks ago,which has grown significantly in size in my care and I think they sent a mature plant.The rhizome is approximately(Srry,no pics)34 mm. almost 1 1/2 inch long,including the growing point.Along with an additional 14 mm. going underground.
Any help is much appreciated,as I am still somewhat a beginner.

P.S. There is no evidence of flowers/flower stalk remnants from this season.
By snapperhead51
CP caregiver
really when a sarra gets to mature size , there is not a lot to say how old it may be , there are plants that grow very quickly like S.flava . and others that grow slow like S.evidine , just for example , and yet thats here in other parts of the world this could be reversed, I believe that is the climate that you put them into that will affect there growth ,either accelerating it or retarding it , conditions like sun temp's cold humidity and root temps all come into play here , , so i have plants here that are well over 10 years old and still small and others that i have to split every 2 year because of rapid growth in 10in pots , so many factors involved here and location climate watering sun etc, if you got a plant with a mature rhizome of that size its probably on average a 5 year old or so plant ,if grown from seed, if taken from a rhizome cutting it many be halved in years for size approximately , it all depends of the climate and growing conditions .
when you get a plant from a supplier and if its been trimmed off for transport and packed bare rooted , some times they take a full growing season to recover, this may mean it will not flower for that year, , and some these they are just late in flowering too , with clime change now days they seem to get a bit confused, i know here the flower spikes are come up later now days !!
hope that helps , but just so many variables these days , 15 years back it was a lot simpler for sure , all the plant grew usually as they should and just occasional the plants reacted to some climate changes that may have occurred once and a while , our planet clime is changing rapidly , you only need to look at the confusion of the plant is flowering and other things , it very plan to see
only a opinion
J
By CPcaregiver
Thx,thats really helpful!I hope it flowers next spring,because despite what you said,it's still a pretty big rhizome.
By plantman1001
When you have been growing Sarracenia for a few years you can usually tell when they are mature.
Different plants have different rhizomes, Sarracenia ruba has a smaller rhizome whale Sarracenia flava has a large rhizome.
You will eventually just kind of know. :mrgreen:
Hope I helped.

Does anyone have multiple H. sarracenioides clones[…]

Help! My VFT is dying

What about the good Looking ones. Will they go Dor[…]

Water Quality

I used to have a pool/spa at my house in CA. The m[…]

I'd def keep it. Sometimes plants (in general, not[…]

A 15-hour photoperiod is good, yes.

I too am wondering when to start the transition. I[…]

Watering my Venus Flytrap

OP lives in Poland.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!