FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dimitar
roarke wrote:When a nephentes is best to be divided ?
In the spring.
roarke wrote: And requires that all the nephentes should be pulled out of the pot or i can get out of the plant the young one without disturbing the old
Yeah u have to put out the whole plant and if u can to divide the basal shoot with more roots will be fine. But be careful, cause the stem of basal shoot can stay in your hand without roots if u pull it hard.
Be brave, this nep tolerates root disturbance, however and even better u'll change the soil. If u like this nep to become like a bush, leave it.
By snapperhead51
Hi Dimi has given you some great advice , if I may add to it, when taking the Basel shoots, you may find that its attached to the lower main stem near the root ball, or around that area , they can but further up the main stem too,from stem nodules , but your is from the lower part and you probably will find that it has no root system at all, when you pull the plant out of your potting mix very gently or you may rip off the Basel shoot , dig around the area to clear it so it dont get damaged , , you can take this Basel shoot off in many ways, best is to use a scalpel ,or new box cutter blade of some sort, wash the blades with a 10% solution of beach and water , best distilled water ,but not 100% necessary , to get a clean blade, wash off all potting mix from the area you going to work on good clean water , cut the Basel shoot off with some main stem on it just a bit , make the cut down wards not up wards , then you will have more control of the cut, take it slow ,dont rush it or the cut will take to much out ok !!,, then treat it as a cutting, you can see how to do cuttings on a vid I did on you tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF6sQPgLKhc
is made for stem cuttings but you will get the idea , just treat the Basel the same , it will grow better as it new growth and young , they grow very quickly and strike roots easy too

J
snapperhead51 liked this
Traps curling after closing/eating

Hi! My name is Erika, and I’m a newbie when […]

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!