FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By Vampryotheuthis
I would appreciate some advice on whether a Pinguicula would be a good CP choice for me. I have just managed to kill off my Typical Venus Fly Traps that I was attempting to grow in my office. The problem I had with the VFTs was light.

My office has a NNW exposure and I assume that there is some tinting in the windows. Most modern office buildings have tinting. I don’t know what effect this would have on the plants. I have several other plants (non-CP) in my office and they are growing very well. I had purchased a desk lamp rated for a 15w CFL (largest rating for a desk lamp I could find) which I had positioned a few centimeters away from the VFT but not touching it. But I am afraid this was not enough light for the VFT. Everything else (water, soil, pot) I believe were appropriate for a CP.

On the VFT forum, one of the members suggested that a Pinguicula might be more forgiving of my lighting environment. He also suggested a Drosera which I will be asking this same question on the Droseara forum.

I confess that I know absolutely nothing about Pinguicula other than it is a CP and therefore interesting and worthy of appreciation. Do you Pinguicula gurus think that a Pinguicula would stand a chance with me and my office?

If so, what variety of Pinguicula would be best for a noob like me? Mexican?

Thank you
By NathanG123
I have had a ping for over a year now and it sits on a window where it does not get that much light, it is absoloutley thriving I bought it from a DIY/Garden store so I dont know the type, im not an expert by any means and different types of ping will have different requiemets, im just saying my perticular one does quite well without too much light :)

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!