FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By satosj
I got some fresh gemmae from a friend and planted them in a 9.5 cm pot. Is that tall enough? because on the internet it says that they have very long roots. Is my pot tall enough?
Can anyone give me some tips on how to sprout gemmae? I got D. Leucoblasta and D.pygmaea.
By jht-union
The regular pot that most people use for their CP's is a 6-inch pot. I would reccommend that you use a 6-inch pot, if you don't have a pot, you can use a plastic cup, or the insulated ones styrofoam cups that are 6-inch tall. The deeper the better!

To sprout gemmae put them on top of the peat, since gemmae is small, use a pencil or finger, tweezers and put them in the place you want them to sprout, you can just throw them in the peat. the peat must be really moist, and the gemmae should be getting artificial light, or regular light, but for only a few hours or minutes, and the most important part is giving them humidity and water, too much light migh cook the gemmae, so becareful with that.
also you can use a plastic, or wrapping paper on top and punch some holes in it, that is to keep the peat moist and humidity high, if doing this, becareful no to put them in direct sun, or they will cook within minutes, take it off when giving sun, or artificial light, and they should sprout in 2 days or even one depending on the variety. Start acclimating the seedlings very slowly to a lot of sun, and keep them moist, when you think they have aclimated correctly, start decreasing the water, and just leave them moist, if keeped wet, it is probably they will have root rot. It is like germinating seeds.
Good luck! :)
jht-union liked this
By MICKEY
why would artificial light cook them that's the first I heard of that I have mine that i planted last week under 2 40 tubes 14 hours a day and they look great there in a sealed plastic tube(clear) that I open a few times a day,very high humidly
this site has great info they specialize in pygmy's and sell mostly gemmae
http://droseragemmae.com/CareGuide.html
By satosj
When they have sprouted can they be left inside a greenhouse as a mature plant with cold temperatures? Because it is Winter where i am.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!