FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By rozalieda
Hi. am new to this forum.
I have seen many posts and articles online about feeding freezedried worms
I am curious about the use of live bloodworms. Is this possible? or is it unhealthy?

Also, I bought some worms but they are preserved in salt solution. can this potentially harm my pitchers? I have some small hybrids and nepenthes black miracle hybrid
By Shelilla
I don't know about live bloodworms, but I feed mine freezedried ones that used to be food for my now dead betta fish lol. Cheap and easy solution.
Maybe take a picture of the brand or contents of what you bought, and I could compare it to mine? The bloodworms I've used have caused now problems with my plants ever so if it's the same then it should be safe.
By Rammplins
I actually looked into this when I first started out. Yes is it possible to use live bloodworms, but they will quickly turn into midges if you don't use them fast enough. It doenst seem very difficult, most of the info you need if you want to start a bloodworm farm is here : http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Live%20 ... 0Worms.htm

Since I only feed my traps and pitchers every 2 weeks the overabundance of them would snowball out of control, so I decided against it. Instead I have a raft of sphag growing in a large tub outside, every 3 days or so I go out and capture the mosquito larvae that have inevitably been laid there. They look extremely close to bloodworms, stay in larvae form for a little longer than bloodworms, and they work really well for my flytraps. I put one or 2 on a trap, watch them squirm for half a second and then disappear into a hungry mouth.

I found this has 2 benefits:
1. I don't need to manually massage the trap to make it think something is in there
2. the larvae is almost completely dissolved after the trap is done eating, so the chance of mold or rot is extremely low
Rammplins liked this
By Shelilla
Wow that's useful, I never knew that. Especially the rotting part, that's probably the most issues I've had with bloodworms and even live spiders- often there's skeletons left or bits that start moulding on the plant, YUCK!

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!