FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By Naja002
Ok. Got a little bit more done today.

Being that copper is currently cost-prohibitive, I needed to decide whether to do this or not with pex. This is a future aspect that needed to be setup now or skipped. Truth is: I probably should have just skipped it, but for ~$30 what-the hay! ;) 100' of 1/2" pex--Yes, I removed the rock:

Then laid a layer of 4 mil sheeting over it:

Then broke out the cardboard:

Laid down a triple layer as a thermal barrier:

And covered it with another sheet of 4 mil plastic:

The plastic is just to act as a moisture barrier to offer some protection to the cardboard.
Last edited by Naja002 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naja002 liked this
By Naja002
Then I took 3 of the landscaping timbers that I cut prior. Marked them, laid them out, and clamped them up:

Started the notching process:

Got them notched and then used the sander again to soften the edges a bit:

I had to take the previous 2 courses off again in order to straighten up some of the notches. I knew this the other day. However, while I had them off, I went ahead and installed some straight-brackets. I am wanting to add an inside lip, so these will do the trick:

Got the last 3 courses mounted and fastened together:

And the obligatory covered it up and called it a day pic:

I will need to make another stop by Lowes. There's a few things that I can do tomorrow to move forward a bit, so I'll probably update then with what I get done. :ugeek:
Last edited by Naja002 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Steve_D
This project continues to be very interesting. My first impression is that it looks overly complex, but I'm very curious as to what it will finally become and how it will all work, and the reasons for every aspect, layer, "ingredient" in the final product. Thanks very much for the photo essay as you create this thing. :-)
Steve_D liked this
By Naja002
Steve_D wrote:This project continues to be very interesting. My first impression is that it looks overly complex, but I'm very curious as to what it will finally become and how it will all work, and the reasons for every aspect, layer, "ingredient" in the final product. Thanks very much for the photo essay as you create this thing. :-)

Hey Steve, Thanx for the comments! Image I'm glad that you are enjoying following along. Truth is: It is overly complex, but in the same sense that a greenhouse with heating, cooling, plumbing, shade cloth, etc, etc, etc...is overly complex. Considering that I am focusing on VFTs, this or a greenhouse would be overly complex, because....neither is necessary. Image I could certainly find much simpler, easier and cheaper ways to get these plants through 365 days of the year without doing this or building a greenhouse. :mrgreen: But I have the tools. I have some of the supplies and components. I also have the time and enjoy working on a project. :mrgreen:

There is plenty more to come and a bunch more photos to document the process. Image
Naja002, Naja002 liked this
By Naja002
Well, I haven't been doing much with this for a while. I did get a bit done one day last week. I've run into a small delay, but there are plenty of things that I can still do...and will be working on this weekend. Things that need to be done and will keep this moving forward! :mrgreen:

I did put an inner lip in the lower area. It still needs some attention, but it's in:

I got some plywood cut. This isn't exactly what it will look like. Some of it is just to keep the sun off of the plastic, and allowed me to discontinue using the tarp. Another adjustment or two needs to be made, but this is what it looks like at least until tomorrow:

A small support for the large piece of plywood in the lower section. Needs a slight trimming:

I'm expecting to do some updates over the course of this weekend.
By Dubstep13
all the hard work put into this im sure it will turn out amazing and i cant wait to see!
wish i could come over and give you a hand! you sure are creative though!
Dubstep13 liked this
By Naja002
Dubstep13 wrote:all the hard work put into this im sure it will turn out amazing and i cant wait to see!
wish i could come over and give you a hand! you sure are creative though!
Hey Dubstep, thanx for the comments! There are definitely times when I could use a 3rd or 4th hand...that's for sure! :mrgreen:

Got a bit more done today.

Most of the plumbing run through the notches. I forgot to connect one, but it is in from the backside. Most of the elbows are not glued on. Only the long run is completely glued on this side:

A look from the back. Again, the elbows and caps are not currently glued:

Then the rain man started grumbling around, so I had to quit for a while. I could have probably counted the number of rain drops that actually fell out of the sky, if I had stood outside. :mrgreen: Just enough to make me clean everything up....then get it all back out again! :roll:

So, I continued on... Image

Got the top cut and placed for the back portion, and the longterm piece of plywood notched around the plumbing:

Set the plywood tops on. They are not hinged yet:

And that's about it for today. Got a late start and an interruption. Got a few things to do tomorrow and then that may be it for a little while. :ugeek:
By ziko88
I though for a minute that I had an idea of what you're doing, but now I see that I really really don't (?)
still looks amazing and I can't wait to see the end!
ziko88 liked this
By Adelaide
You impress me, sir. Are you an engineer by chance, you're very project oriented. I even thought your bucket drain was impressive! I also creeped on the other projects you linked...
Adelaide liked this
By Naja002
ziko88 wrote:I though for a minute that I had an idea of what you're doing, but now I see that I really really don't (?)
still looks amazing and I can't wait to see the end!
Well, ziko, my guess is that what you were thinking was probably basically correct. :lol: Let's see if this update helps any....

Adelaide wrote:You impress me, sir. Are you an engineer by chance, you're very project oriented. I even thought your bucket drain was impressive! I also creeped on the other projects you linked...
Why Thank You, Ma'am. No engineer here. Just like to tinker with stuff. Image Take something a step further, do something that may benefit myself and others, or like this and some of my other projects...just do something unique and different. Image

As far as my other projects, I added some copycat links to another forum. Different forums are more receptive to different things. If you are interested in any additional discussion - I added *** to the new links.

It's been a while, so it's time for an update! :mrgreen:

I got out the underlayment. Got it positioned as best I could initially. Cut off the major excess:

Got it stapled down real well:

Then started stapling down an overlap:

After I got the underlayment adjusted, I got out the pond liner and started getting it situated:

Stapled it down well along the plumbing side and started filling it full of rain water:

I climbed around inside and adjusted the liner around. As the planter area lowered, I switched the pump to the drain return in order to transfer as much water as possible (still filling):

By SEB
That is a nice sized piece of property you have there!! I wish I had land like that to work with.

The bog also looks very interesting. I can't wait to see it done and all planted up!!
SEB liked this
By Naja002
A pic of the drain return pump in it's new home:

Now there is no way that I am going to get in there on a regular basis and clean debris from the pump intake, so I need some type of mechanical filtration system. Enter the river pebbles:

After getting the pump situated and covered with pebbles...the flow has not been hampered:

I also knew that if there is an issue...I would like to get to the bulk of it quickly and easily. So I cut-to-fit a piece of the craft lattice as a prefilter:

Then I broke out the Dremel and diamond wheel and started hacking away at a piece of tile. No need to waste a perfectly good planter spot :twisted: :

Last edited by Naja002 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Naja002
Getting there:

Got the angled top put back on. Added an interior strip of 2" x 2" screwed down well to secure the liner (and it will serve another purpose also):

Then got out my motorboat powerhead:

Got it situated just right for right now. Just wanting to get the water moving and aerated really well. See if I can't bring it back to LIFE!

A 30 sec video showing it in action - check your volume:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMBzrwStdFQ[/youtube]

I added ~30+ gals to what was in the planter area. I still have ~35 more gals to add when I get to it. Just happy to have the reservoir functional with circulation and aeration to help keep the water somewhat fresh.

When all was said and done...I came out in pretty good shape:

I have another aspect that I've started on. I expect to putz around on it tomorrow, so hopefully there will be another update then. Image
Last edited by Naja002 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Steve_D
This must be the most elaborate planter ever! :D Thank you so much naja002 for documenting the construction process and allowing us all to follow along.
Steve_D liked this
By Daniel_G
Ok, i have absolutley no idea what your doing, but it looks cool!
So good luck!
Daniel_G liked this

Anyone find anything exceptional/underwhelming or […]

Greetings fellow enthusiasts! I've been intrigued […]

Sure, the more the merrier! Just remember to add t[…]

Ah! If possible, then, could I add the mixed dros[…]

Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!