FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Kyla
Hi everyone,

About 5 weeks ago I planted some Sarracenia seeds, and one of them has germinated and reached around 1cm in height. I'm wondering what I do with it next. Can I just move it to a sunny windowsill and let it grow from there?

Thanks!
By jwbates26
How many seeds did you have? Are you asking if you can move just the one seedling or move the container with the seeds and seedling to the windowsill? Do you have them under grow lights now? One last question are they covered?

If it is a nice sunny windowsill you could move the entire container to the windowsill. If they are under grow lights you could keep them there as well. I have many sarra. seedlings in a windowsill right now. Its been frosting here at night or I'd keep them outside. If they are covered, just remember with the sun shinning through it could cause the container to heat up and harm your seeds or seedlings.
jwbates26 liked this
By cookie0117
Im in a very similar had some mixed hybrid sarr seeds germinate a few months back. They are about 1.5cm high and have 2nd or 3rd (in some cases) pitchers coming out. I (possible in error) have put them out in the cold frame with the rest of my plants. I was just going to treat them like the older plants, do they need slighty more gentle treatment?
By Kyla
jwbates26 wrote:How many seeds did you have? Are you asking if you can move just the one seedling or move the container with the seeds and seedling to the windowsill? Do you have them under grow lights now? One last question are they covered?
I planted 5, one has germinated so far. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. I'm asking if I can move the whole container from a propagator to a windowsill with the seedling being so small, or shall I leave it in there for a while longer? Yes they are covered.

Thanks for all of your help!
By jwbates26
If your growing them under lights I think I would leave them and give them as much light as you can. Once they have a few leafs on them and maybe their first true carnivorous leafs slowly remove the lead over a period of a few days. Prop the lid open 1cm the first couple days then you can open it 2cm for a few days and so on until you think its good to take the lid off. This will lower the humidity gradually and allow you seedlings to harden up. Growing covered allows for high humidity which allow plants to grow quickly but they don't have to waist any energy in protection so the leafs can be fairly weak.

You could put them in the window, just make sure their not over heating when the sun shines through. Again try giving them as much light as possible which means you may have to supplement some light. I'd aim for at least 16 hours of light a day.
jwbates26 liked this

Last time I sent a SASE to myself, it took a week […]

Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!