FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By PitcherCrab
I was wondering about what causes the pitchers on Nepenthes to grow and to die. I noticed that after I transplanted mine that all the pitchers it had all started to shrivel and die. Was this due to the shock of the transplant? What is the average length the pitchers live for before the shrivel up? Also, what stimulates the plant to grow new pitchers?
By Aging_Bourbon
Pitchers on Nepenthes don't last long. They last several weeks to months. Usually when you repot the plant they die but that's if you remove some of the roots.
By Adam
Allen said it. The amount of roots = the amount of leaves the plant can support.
By hackerberry
Hey, some Nep pitchers last for almost a year. Some examples from my experience are Bicals and Trucatas.

hb
By Lawndude84
hackerberry wrote:Hey, some Nep pitchers last for almost a year. Some examples from my experience are Bicals and Trucatas.

hb

To go off what HB said, the slower the Nep grows, usually the longer the pitcher lasts. This is what I've noticed from my experience so far.
By PitcherCrab
Is there something that causes the pitchers to die? Like maybe the plant kills the pitcher so it can reabsorb the moisture and nutrients from the decaying/digesting insects within?
By Lawndude84
just like anything else, parts of plants will die after a certain amount of time. Plants use their energy for 3 different things. Growth, Flowering, and defense against disease or insects. Where the plant directs a majority of its energy depends on the situation. An example would be:

- A tree shoots up sucker growth ( Thin, erect growth from the trunk of the tree) when it is under stress from a disease or insect.

This is also why most people here will tell you to cut flower stalks off of juvenile fly traps when they start growing. Because it sucks the energy away from its growing and directs it towards flowering.

Hope this wall of text helped. :lol:
By corky
on my n.sanguinea i have pitchers that i recon must be getting on a year old,its weird though because two have shriveled and died in the last fortnight and none have died on it for ages, and they were nowhere near the oldest on the plant ,still growing well though.had o couple of leaves with rust spots any one no if that can kill a pitcher,the rust does not seem to be spreading so i did not treat it.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!