FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By murrkywaters
I'm plant sitting for a fellow grower and two of the nepenthes seedling pots had insane germination rates. They're overcrowded and suffering because of it. Any tips on safely separating them?Image

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Panman
Ay yai yai! My opinion, and it is only my opinion, would be to pull it out of the pot and put it in a bowl of water to get the dirt off and help the roots untangle. Then repot them one by one.

{insert disclaimer spoke quickly in a monotone voice refusing any responsibility or culpability should anything adverse happen}
Greenthumbs Garden liked this
By ChefDean
murrkywaters wrote:I'm plant sitting for a fellow grower and two of the nepenthes seedling pots had insane germination rates. They're overcrowded and suffering because of it. Any tips on safely separating them?
My advice would be, unless he asked you to do something, to let the grower whose seedlings they are worry about it. He may deal with these all the time and have a way to safely handle it. That small, all of them could easily be lost due to an unexpected complication.
If he asked you to do something, I would try what Panman has suggested after you made sure the other grower understood that you weren't responsible if the worst case scenario happened. If he didn't ask you to do anything, maybe offer your opinion that the pots are overcrowded, but leave it up to him to take care of them.
By murrkywaters
We've talked about it for a while. He'll be overseas until June so I've been told to do it if they start going south, which they are.

ChefDean liked this
By murrkywaters
Tried three reporting strategies across 7 pots. Currently in a humidity chamber in the tent so the roots can adjust. I figure I'll take them out Monday. I'll be back on Friday to do scheduled maintenance, if anything looks wrong I'll know then

ChefDean liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!