FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By Esly
D:<
Darn it, I'm like the onlyyy one who is prob. gonna use this ):
Im sooo. noob-ish at identifiying.. plants... (spelling fail)
Ummm....

I have some weird photoshop thingy :D So likee.. I've been messing around with pics of my plants.
I decided to put them into a Collage!
Hehe. I didnt mess with tehh colors..

Here are the plants i need help with XD
Attachments:
:D
:D
Picnik collage.jpg (69.82 KiB) Viewed 7652 times
By Esly
mktamin wrote:The first one looks like a Sarracenia Scarlet Belle http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&s ... f&oq=&aqi=
the second looks to me like a cobra nest that hasn't developed a red color yet (mine looked just like your's when I first got it).

Waaaiiit!!!!! Cobra nest as in... COBRA PLANT?!?!?!?!? :O
By Esly
Neverrrmindd!!!!

Haha. I just ofund out they're different XD
By lemonlily
I don't know what it is. In fact, most of these things look the same so far. I haven't looked at these enough yet.
By kevinqwe
thats beautiful, are those your plants?
By watnazn
First is S. Scarlet Belle second is S. Cobras nest. I got the same plant!
By Esly
watnazn wrote:First is S. Scarlet Belle second is S. Cobras nest. I got the same plant!
:O

Cooool. do they go through dormancy?
By Matt
Esly wrote:
watnazn wrote:First is S. Scarlet Belle second is S. Cobras nest. I got the same plant!
:O

Cooool. do they go through dormancy?
Yep, all Sarracenia are native to North America and go through a dormancy the same as Venus fly traps do.
By mktamin
Yep, all Sarracenia are native to North America and go through a dormancy the same as Venus fly traps do.
Actually, I'm not sure if cobra nest goes dormant. Look at this passage from the ICPS's website:
"This cultivar earned its patented status for its unique horticultural characteristics. It grows vigorously, year around..."
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Sp ... 24_27.html
By Matt
Nice find Michael! However, I think that they may mean that it puts out nice pitchers throughout the growing season, and not literally year round. Some species of Sarracenia put out more pitchers in the spring (oreophila) while some have much nicer pitchers in the fall (luecophylla). My guess is that Cobra's Nest puts out nice pitchers from spring until fall. Since all Sarracenia are native to the United States, I don't think that they will grow in the winter no matter what kind of hybrid they are. As far as I know, they all go dormant.
By lemonlily
Maybe they go dormant and they still grow? Or impossible? As in, they grow throughout the winter. I don't know... Unless you probably won't call it dormant if it's still growing wildly.
By mktamin
Matt wrote:Nice find Michael! However, I think that they may mean that it puts out nice pitchers throughout the growing season, and not literally year round. Some species of Sarracenia put out more pitchers in the spring (oreophila) while some have much nicer pitchers in the fall (luecophylla). My guess is that Cobra's Nest puts out nice pitchers from spring until fall. Since all Sarracenia are native to the United States, I don't think that they will grow in the winter no matter what kind of hybrid they are. As far as I know, they all go dormant.
I don't know... cobra nest has been took 6 years to develop in order to produce a cross that will appeal to more people, and can grow well indoors, it seems pretty different from any native sarracenia. and even though its fall now, my cobra nest is still putting out a lot of pitchers, it doesn't seem to want to stop. :mrgreen:
By Matt
mktamin wrote:it seems pretty different from any native sarracenia
Yes, but it's still a Sarracenia, right? If so, that means it's a hybrid of plants native to North America, all of which require a dormancy. I guess it's conceivable that you could take temperate plants and cross them enough time to make a tropical plant, but I don't think that's likely and it may not even be possible.

My guess is that it still requires a dormancy period. If you tried to grow it in tropical conditions, it would most likely weaken and die after a while.

Maybe someone that has grown the plant for a while will chime in and say if they let their plant go dormant like a normal temperate carnivorous plant or grow it as a tropical.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!