FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By carelerasmus
Something went horribly wrong? These flower pods do not look full of seeds at all? And I know Drosera Capensis does self pollinate? So why aren't there seeds? If tried sowing what I THOUGHT were seeds, but they may simply be small ,crushed parts of the flower pods? Do these look like they would have any seed in them?Image

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
They aren't ready. You wont to wait till they close up and turn brown. When they look like a partly popped popcorn.
By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:They aren't ready. You wont to wait till they close up and turn brown. When they look like a partly popped popcorn.
Ohh okei? Its been like more than 4 weeks since they opened up? So they will lose the actual pink flower, and then swell up?

By Hungry Plants
Yes. Then you have to wait for them to ripen. You will know when they start to open back up and the tips start to furl back.
By carelerasmus
Hungry Plants wrote:Yes. Then you have to wait for them to ripen. You will know when they start to open back up and the tips start to furl back.
Isn't that like exactly what is happening?Image

By nimbulan
Trust me, there's seeds in there. They're tiny and a ton of probably already scattered around below the flower stalk. If you just hold your hand or a piece of paper under the stalk and tap it, you'll see how small they are.

The only except would be that the plant may not set seeds if it's too cold.
By carelerasmus
nimbulan wrote:Trust me, there's seeds in there. They're tiny and a ton of probably already scattered around below the flower stalk. If you just hold your hand or a piece of paper under the stalk and tap it, you'll see how small they are.

The only except would be that the plant may not set seeds if it's too cold.
Hmmm I'll take a look! Thanks

By DeaNyx420
This is my D. Capillaris 'Emerald's Envy' that had flowered and seeded. They aren't kidding when they say they pop like popcorn because they really do. I had to fashion a seed catcher in order to prevent them from flying everywhere.Imagethis is a good photo of the "popped" seed podsImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Imagethose black dots are seeds. Out of both flower stalks I got about 175+ seeds.
Last edited by DeaNyx420 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By carelerasmus
DeaNyx420 wrote:This is my D. Capillaris 'Emerald's Envy' that had flowered and seeded. They aren't kidding when they say they pop like popcorn because they really do. I had to fashion a seed catcher in order to prevent them from flying everywhere.Imagethis is a good photo of the "popped" seed podsImage

But see...mine simply look like they have allready popped?

By DeaNyx420
carelerasmus wrote:
DeaNyx420 wrote:This is my D. Capillaris 'Emerald's Envy' that had flowered and seeded. They aren't kidding when they say they pop like popcorn because they really do. I had to fashion a seed catcher in order to prevent them from flying everywhere.Imagethis is a good photo of the "popped" seed podsImage

But see...mine simply look like they have allready popped?

They may have, I can't really tell from the photo. But I do agree with nimbulan. If they have, the seeds are scattered. Give it time and you may have baby plants in random places.

By carelerasmus
Okeii thanks!!

By nimbulan
There's probably still more seeds in there, particularly if the plant is being grown indoors rather than out in the wind. Often times you have to pull the remains of the flower petals off and even crush the pod between your fingers to get the last few out anyway.

To give you an idea of what you're looking for and how tiny they are, here's a picture of some capensis seeds on a 1mm grid from the ICPS seedbank. Image
By carelerasmus
nimbulan wrote:There's probably still more seeds in there, particularly if the plant is being grown indoors rather than out in the wind. Often times you have to pull the remains of the flower petals off and even crush the pod between your fingers to get the last few out anyway.

To give you an idea of what you're looking for and how tiny they are, here's a picture of some capensis seeds on a 1mm grid from the ICPS seedbank. Image
Okay that should help a lot! ThanksImageImage

By KategoricalKarnivore
I’ve had capensis make flowers with no seeds then the next flower stalk is full of them. It happens like that sometimes.
By nimbulan
To give you an idea of what to expect, I cut this flower stalk off yesterday with the paper held under it. All the seeds on the paper were released by the impact of falling a couple inches.
DSC_0242.jpg
DSC_0242.jpg (34.96 KiB) Viewed 2982 times
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!