FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By MaxVft
Hello all,
I know I may get passed as impatient and be told to wait much longer if someone reads this post, but just bear with me please :mrgreen: .
So,
I have 3 pots of capes, 1 pot of capillaris, and 1 pot of spats(so 5 pots in total)seeds inside of a sterilite container covered with plastic wrap under an LED grow bulb/reflector. I check on the seeds every other week, and take off the plastic wrap to ventilate them, replace the water and to check for signs of germination.
It has been almost 2 months now, and not a speck of germination. There are growers who I gave some of the same exact batch of seed to that I had, and have already had germination a long time ago while I am still left with 0% germination.
Am I doing anything wrong, or do I just need to wait and see what happens?
By albertoburrito
You sent me some of your seeds, so I will share how I care for them:
I used better-gro orchid moss: https://www.lowes.com/pd/BETTER-GRO-Orc ... x/50284907
I washed it in RO water, and packed it tight in a 4 inch pot, making the moss as flat as possible. Then I used a piece of paper to sprinkle the seeds over the soil like california carnivores does. I put it in a tray of water and put a sandwich bag over it, and put it under a t5 grow light. I used the ferry morse grow light.
By evenwind
Also, what medium are they planted in? And how wet do you keep it?
By ChefDean
What they said^^^^.
I've noticed with a lot of seeds that temperature plays a big part. I'm not talking stratification, as the ones you've listed are sow and go.
However, many seeds have a "Goldilocks Zone" when it comes to germination. Too cool or too warm and they won't do anything. Fresher seeds are a lot more forgiving, but still need to be close. Capes, I've germinated very well on my windowsill at about mid 70's, but any spats I've tried sputtered. I still got some, but I attribute my glorious lack of success to not being in their preferred range.
I've only tried capillaris once, D. capillaris "Bertioga", as it was gifted to me from a member in Brazil. This member also sent enough to spread the love, but nobody has reported successful germination. However, I sowed mine after summer hit here in Tennessee, with 80's and 90's during the day, and dropping to the 50's at night sometimes. So far, I have a few seeds that have successfully germinated. Perhaps this is close enough to what these seeds experience in situ, or maybe I got lucky.
After that long winded diatribe, maybe do some further inspection into your temps, and research what is optimal for each species. It may just need a little tweak on your part.
MaxVft liked this
By Shadowtski
If I don't get germination after 6 months to a year , I put the pot aside and let it dry out.
Next time I use the pot, it's Christmas Day, little Drosera are germinating everywhere.
I had a 6 inch pot of dry peat/perlite/sand media.
I transplanted some Drosera 'Hercules' in it.
A month or three later, it's full of baby Capes and Finlaysonianas. (maybe Serpens)
schmeg, elaineo, MaxVft liked this
By elaineo
I've had good luck with water germination for spats and capes. On a shelf in a bright room at room temperature, the spats germinated in less than a week.
By MaxVft
Hi all and thanks for the replies,
The media is Better-Gro sphagnum moss, but I used the moss pretty loosely instead of packed down.

I don't have a thermometer with me at the moment, but I would say it's around 80 degrees in the germination chamber. I originally had a florescent bulb that produced a lot more heat than light which made it closer to around 90 to 95 degrees in there, which was taken out of the reflector and replaced about 2 weeks ago with a very bright LED bulb with minimum heat, which set the temperature back 10 to 15 degrees.

I think that it is because back in the first few weeks of my first pots, I was too excited and would check on them every few days, which may have also bothered them and stunted them. Either that or the temperature change.
By MaxVft
Oh and also I keep the media soaking wet all the time, missed that part :mrgreen: .
Last edited by MaxVft on Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Nepenthes0260
Never give up on Drosera seeds!

I had some aliciae I acquired from the seed bank a couple years ago take five months to germinate. More recently, I had D. cistiflora and D. regia take over one year to sprout after sowing.

If you aren't having any luck after a few months, move the pot to a different area, or different temperatures. I've noticed that some Petiolaris Drosera seed that won't germinate for me sprout after drying out the pot completely (bone dry) and then rehydrating again. Most commonly though, it's a temp thing. Get them cooler and then warmer, and that's how I managed to germinate those regia and cistiflora.
MaxVft liked this
By MaxVft
Update!
I came home today and took a peek at the chamber, no opening of the plastic wrap or anything. And I saw something in 2 of the pots that wasn't algae. I took them out of the chamber, and sure enough, they were capillaris and cape seedlings! I almost screamed how excited I was for this comeback! Thanks everybody for all the help!
Max
albertoburrito liked this
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!