FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Pinguicula care here

Moderator: Matt

By alanshemper
Hi all! I'm brand new to butterworts so I apologize for what are probably silly questions. I was gifted a butterwort yesterday and have been trying to do a little research to see if I'm taking care of it correctly. I'm not sure what specific type I have, but it's currently in a mix of 1 part peat to 2 parts perlite and vermiculite (50/50 ratio) and sitting in a pot that's placed in a saucer with RO water (about 1-2cm). I currently have it placed with my plants downstairs since there are more gnats, which are under a 24hr 315 LEC Sun System (75 degrees F and currently between 40-50% average humidity), however after researching the google I'm not sure if this will cause harm to my plant to be under 24hr lighting or if I should place it upstairs as I have a cactus on 18/6hr lighting under a full spectrum LED (average 69-70 degrees F and currently around 45% humidity).

This is my first dive into the world of CP's and I definitely don't want to mess it up! I'll attach a few photos to show the little dude and environment set-up. Any help is much appreciated!
20181104_180425.jpg
20181104_180425.jpg (3.47 MiB) Viewed 3014 times
20181104_180458.jpg
20181104_180458.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 3014 times
By Bob Beer
You describe a medium of more perlite and vermiculite than peat, but I don’t see any perlite or vermiculite there.

If I used any peat, I’d keep the proportion low. Vermiculite-I’m not wild about it because it tends to compact into a dense sludge. Fine perlite, sand, pumice, crushed lava rock if you can get it (or you can crush your own pretty easily), and turface are all good. That said, I’ve also had pretty good luck with a cactus and succulent mix that contains some lime, and have heard from people that using some limestone sand or oyster shell in their mix was very helpful for some species. (We’re talking about Mexican pings here, don’t do it with a bog ping!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By jeff
Bob here in europe we have neutral alkaline bog PH 8 but also acid bog PH 5 ,this, in fact, comes from the nature of the soil and runoff water ;) we find naturally not the same flora.

in the genus ping most are calcicole or gypsicole or indiferrenciated media only a few of acidic environments (such as some temperate or subtropical US).

for the temperate see here my web site to "habitats": http://fern72.free.fr/siteweb/habitat/habitat.html#

jeff
By Bob Beer
Yes we have some neutral and even alkaline bogs in the US, but they are not major Pinguicula habitats. The warm temperate pings commonly on the market generally like the same conditions that Droseras do, though often wetter. The point is, if he is growing one of those pings, an alkaline environment favored by so many Mexican pings is not a good idea. :-)

By jeff
you know BOB I grow a lot of temperate ping here(almost all, see my grow list ) .

every spring also I'm on the ground to see them in France but also in Italy-Switzerland-Spain, a lot ,in rupicolous limestone backgrounds( cliff), we see very little in the company of drosera.

for the subtropical US ( caerulea-planifolia-pumila-lutea-primuliflora -ionantha) it is not the same environment more acid like here the annual lusitanica .
Last edited by jeff on Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Bob Beer
Yes. Here in my state they grow on rock too, and not in bogs with driers. But as I said, the _warm temperate_ ones like primuliflora and lutea do grow in the very wet bog conditions, also favored by Drosera. Primuliflora and planifolia are frequently submerged; very different from the alpine species.

By Bob Beer
I have except planifolia; right now only primuliflora. My other temperates got “desert trained” by the person who was taking care of my plants while I was out of the country for several weeks. :-( One lone primuliflora survived. Since I travel a lot, I am just sticking to the Mexicans right now since they are a little more forgiving of forgetful waterers... Image

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!