FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By floridadancerguy
I recently moved and set up my terrarium for my tropical plants. I placed it on it's side so the opening is in the front for easier access to my plants. It is 36x18x12 on it's side (LxWxH) I currently have 2- 100w equivalent CFL 6500k in clamp light fixtures. I removed the clamp and painted the outside black. I added a third light since the pictures were taken. I attached thick clear vinyl sheeting to to the opening to help maintain temp and humidity. So far the min/max for temp and humidity respectively has been: 63-77 degrees and 73-94%. I have some lowlanders in there so I hope they are ok with the temps for now. I have an ultrasonic humidifier in there which I turn on occasionally, but it has maintained good humidity so I haven't really needed it. I need to get a little fan to put in there for better air circulation. I've seen people use computer fans, but I don't know how to wire things, so if anyone has fan suggestions let me know.
I'd like to turn it into a tank just for lowlanders and propagation. Any advice on heating the tank would be appreciated too as well as any comments or tips to make it a better set-up.
I am trying to find 4" square deep pots to plant everything in for better use of space and uniformity also, but have not been able to locate a place to purchase them.

Comments and suggestions are definitely welcomed!
Thanks
Charles
Attachments:
Terrarium-2.jpg
Terrarium-2.jpg (151.27 KiB) Viewed 5278 times
Terrarium-3.jpg
Terrarium-3.jpg (163.4 KiB) Viewed 5278 times
Terrarium.jpg
Terrarium.jpg (145.18 KiB) Viewed 5278 times
floridadancerguy liked this
By David F
Heating the tank could be achieved with the surface area based heaters. Usually there are some at the nearest pet stores.
By floridadancerguy
I added another smaller tank for my lowland nepenthes. It is about 24X18X12 and I have 2 100w equiv. CFLs. I bought an aquarium heater from wal-mart and I put it in a tall cylindrical vase filled with water. I keep it on high and it has successfully maintained temps between 73-80. During the day it seems to stay around 79 degrees in the tank. The humidity stays around 70-87%
The plants seem to be happy so far. One N. Bical had serious brown leaves with only a small amount of green due to the temps being too low in my grandma's greenhouse. I had her send it to me and in just a week it has started to produce a nice green shoot and is well on it's way to being happy again.
The N. Ampullaria has not started putting out nice growth yet, but I'm hoping that it will get over it's shock and start flourishing for me
The tank in the picture from my original post has exploded with growth and is doing wonderfully. Most notably the D. binata 'multifida extreema' which has gone from unimpressive to a virtual spiderweb of dewy leaves.
I'll take some updated pictures and upload when I get a chance.
By David F
Heater, pads, they are magic, just make sure to check on it periodically, they are not always consistent, and can suddenly surge with heat for up to a week.

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!