FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Basilisk
So I ordered some pitcher plants online (mostly Sarracenia) that I'm very happy with and that are putting pitchers out like crazy, but I also bought one single Nepenthes ampullaria x (spectalilis x ventricosa) and I paid like $30 for a "medium", thinking that I would be getting at least a small established plant and instead... I got a crispy brown twig with two leaves attached.

Unfortunately it seems to be doing really badly in my care, and one of the leaves has already turned brown and been trimmed off. I desperately need some advice because I was looking forward to this specimen in particular, and it would be really upsetting if it died.

By ironcore21
Can you get a close up of the center growth point ? What media is it in? And what kind of water are you using

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
By Basilisk
ironcore21 wrote:Can you get a close up of the center growth point ? What media is it in? And what kind of water are you using

The growth media is a roughly 50/50 peat/sand mixture (both non-fertilized and no minerals and stuff, I was careful about that) and they're watered with distilled only.

By ironcore21
That looks really rough for neps you usually want to go with a more airy mixture with sphagnum pearlite and maybe some coarse bark is get that repotted as soon as possible also what conditions is it receiving , I'm not an expert maybe others can chime in and help you out a bit more

By Basilisk
ironcore21 wrote:That looks really rough for neps you usually want to go with a more airy mixture with sphagnum pearlite and maybe some coarse bark is get that repotted as soon as possible also what conditions is it receiving , I'm not an expert maybe others can chime in and help you out a bit more

Okay I'll give that a try. It gets a couple hours sunlight in a sunny room. I'm not really sure about the actual hours involved. The other plants seem to be doing fine though, it's just this one that isn't liking it.
By hollyhock
Yes you definitely want to get it into an airy mixture like ironcore21 suggested. I really don't think that it's very likely that this plant will survive. Your best hope is to probably bag it and don't keep it too wet. If you are very lucky you will see some new growth come from the stem. I hope it survives for you.
By Basilisk
hollyhock wrote:Yes you definitely want to get it into an airy mixture like ironcore21 suggested. I really don't think that it's very likely that this plant will survive. Your best hope is to probably bag it and don't keep it too wet. If you are very lucky you will see some new growth come from the stem. I hope it survives for you.
I moved it into a frog terrarium for now, it should stay fairly humid in there. I'll look for some gravel or bark to mix into the soil and see if that makes any difference. Thank you for the help.
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!