FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By davenmayeda
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUnjwhwSqIE[/youtube]

Hi Everyone!
Here is a lil vid of my nepenthes that I am growing indoors.
I couldn't find too much information about growset ups on youtube, so i decided to make this lil one so that I could get comments and recommendatinos.
I currently have everything in a Sun Hut Grow Tent
with a T5 Lighting fixture.
I'm currently running them on a timer 14 hrs on 10 hours off.
Once they've acclimated i might go to 16 for the end of the growing season. What do you think?
I have to start dropping the lights closer and closer every three days.
The temsp are
Outdoor temps in Southern California
96 degrees days 30% humidity
70 degrees nights 60% humidity

In my grow room its
105 degrees days 50% humidity
80 degrees nights 60% humidity

I bought an AC unit (Portable one)
and am now running an EXO terra fogger, i've heard many badf reviedws so well see how it does!
The hot air from the AC goes to a window.

These are the controlled temss
85 days with AC unit on @61 degrees 2 foot away
60 nights with AC unit up close pointed upwards

I want to grow heliamphoras and I just got an order of cephs, but I heard cephs don't like lots of humidity.

Anyways, any comments welcome!!
Advice?
Kepping 80+ humidity during the day without misting? Fogger doesn't get it up there
By hegory
nice setup daven! I need one of those, but it would need to be able to keep the temperature up when it gets around 0 degrees F here in UT :\
By cyph3r_gfy
If you have a log laying around, soak it (a day or so) and add it to your tent. That'll aid in upping, as well as, maintaining humidity levels. Adding compressed coconut fibers (soaked of course) to the tent will also aid it keeping humidity levels high. Simply adding more water vessels, will help keep humidity up. In the spirit of keeping it free and/or low cost, start with the log trick: It'll only cost you time.

I'm only suggesting stuff that I personally use. I too have an EXO terra fogger (never had a problem with it personally) that helps keep my pacman frog happy and healthy. I'm also using soaked compressed coconut fibers in it's substrate as well as a small log that I soak every few weeks. Not to mention a waterfall, and a few other water toys, if you will. Mind you this is in a MUCH smaller enclosure so I have quite a bit more control over it, and my fogger is only kicked off in the morning to simulate morning fog/dew. It should go without saying, any amount of conditioning of the air will eat into your humidity quite a bit.

Hope that helps a little.
By limlikrong
i think you should not put nep rafflesiana in the highland condition as it is a lowlander. i am from singapore and it can really hit its full potential in hot and humid enviornment.
By mloebl
Great setup!

Another alternative to the EXO Terra fogger is using an ultrasonic fogger used for pond fountains... I put one in the pond floater in a tub of RODI, then have a waterproof (yes waterproof, water resistant will die) fan drawing the mist up into the tent. When I had my tent running this winter, it kept the humidity perfectly and pitchers grew all winter. I used my home automation PC to monitor it and adjust the humidity on a schedule, however they do make humidifier controllers as well (basically set it, and it does a simple on/off.)

The nice thing about the ultrasonic foggers is 1) Available all over the place including ebay 2) The discs can be replaced if they fail or wear out without having to dump the whole fogger 3) Typically heavy duty with external sealed power supply as made to go outdoors with long cable easy to mount in an enclosure. I've always wanted to do dart frogs, and would go this route in a heart beat if my wife ever let me, hehe.

Just moved to a new house so trying to figure out how I'll be setting it up this Fall.

-Mike
By davenmayeda
Hey Guys! Thanks for your reply!
I ditched my exo terra fogger, i actually tried using two at the same time, my grow tent is just too big for it.
I bought a nice 150 dollar ultra sonic humidifier, that seems to work the same. . so waste of money =(
I ended up using a vics cool mist humidifier, ironically the cheapest of all of them.
It seems to spray a fine mist instead of a fog, that seems to help keep the humidity up better than the foggers.
i may be suffering from insomnia and could be wrong =)
I know I need to take the truncata and the rafflesiana out, In my head they were going to do fine, but i know they need hot climates and hot nights,
i might just stick those in my shaded green house.

I took down all of the hanging baskets too, made a plexiglass lil encasing to keep in the humidity.
Ugh as i travel further down the rabbit hole things are getting more fun but definately more challening!

I'm having trouble keeping my humidity high during the day, i think it need to put a plexiglass piece below the lights so that the humidifier doesn't burn up making its way to the lights.

I was investigating a mist king, and promist, but they seem a little advanced for me, and i'm not exactly the DIY type guy.
Any advice?
I even bought a small refrigerator to try and cool down my tent to the 50's for the highlanders, but it didn't do mugh, and my portable ac unit can
get the tent to the 60's.

Thanks for the log trick! Do you think it will mold?
Coconut fibers? Genius!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!