FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Arcc
Hi guys this is my Nepenthes plant

I have had it for about a 8 months now. It seems to be growing great as it has grown many leaves and since has grown 2 extra stems which are very healthy but my problem accours with my main stem/plant. It has not produced a single pitcher since i have had it.

I get this after a leaf has grown but a pitcher never grows from it:

I wait for months for it to develop into a pitcher but shortly after I get this:

No pitcher develops. The small stems/plants in the same pot grow pitchers at a fast pace.

They are small but healthy. The plant came to me by post with a single stem which had pitches growing on it. They now have started to die and look nasty what do I do thith them?

My fingers show many leaves have grown since I have had the plant

On top off all this I think i have a bigger problem the stem seems to be turning black at the base of the plant.

Is it to late for this plant? I love this plant dearly and keep it in the best/ sunnyest place I can. I even make sure i feed it with the most cleanest rain water.

I keep it nest to my vft and it is flurishing and also has grown 3 extra plants in the same pot.

Please help??? Also is Nepenthes Hybride the species of my plant if not what is???
Arcc liked this
By snapperhead51
Arcc
your nepenthe "Hybrid " is x ventrata or ventrata , its a cross between N. alata and N. ventricosa supposedly . the leaf length and shape suggest this,
your main stem tendrils , look to be suffering from either low humidity or a combination of sun with low humidity , , the new Basel shoot is just getting enough from the very wet pot to grow small pitchers , nepenthes are tropical plants and need sun , temps reasonably constant and min of 50 to 60 % humidity to produce there original pitcher you had on your plant, there die back on the older pitchers is normal as usually a pitcher last about 6 to 15 month depending on your climate conditions you provide, the better the micro climate the longer the pitchers will last .
I think your nep pot may be to wet, left the pot up out of the water dont have the pot sitting in water at all , may be use a small low pot to sit the nep pot on or some thing , so it dont water log the mix they refer a well drain mix , just means you will need to be very valentine in watering , try some fertilizer to aid growth of the plant too , some liquid fert at 10% strength will help ,only after watering, try misting your plant more often ,if you can in-crease the humidity it will help , if this dont work you may need to build a small plastic greenhouse for it , , but will need to increase the shade in the windows the glass increases the heat and light intensity
J
By Arcc
Thankyou so much snapperhead51> I have learnt allot from your information and videos so I have made some changes. My plant looks allot better now and also i have noticed that there are 4 shoots coming out of the pot. So 1 main plant and 3 small shoots I'm quite happy about that.

So I know it much be a humidity problem as the porch i keep my plants in gets alot of sun shine in it. So i have made a green house as such for the plant.

This is it.

I then had a small pot to put in the green house to keep the humidity up

There is also a hole for fresh air to flow for the plant and also the make sure it does not get to hot for the plant but i highly drought it will get to hot as the UK is always cold. :P

So this is it all setup

The pot next to the plant is full with water for humidity and I also mist the plant.

Do you guys think this will work???? I seriously hope it does, also how often should i mist and water the plant?
By CasperHA
hey Arcc

I got the exact same plant... well, two plants, I splitted it into two earlier this year.
I've had great succes whith this nep so far. I keep them in a east-facing windowsill, so they get direct sunlight in the morning. It dosn't need a green house, just mist it regularly and don't overwater it, then it will do very well

here is a link to a picture I just took, sorry for the quality, but you should be able to see that is dos well.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
The big pitcher in the front is about 12-13 cm
By Arcc
Wow that is an amazing plant. I it looks so healthy I think I will use the green house until it becomes more healthy.. Can you please tell me how you care for the plant and how to split as I have 5 shoots in 1 pot?
By CasperHA
thank you ;)

the care is quite easy. I have in an east-facing windowsill. water it 1-2 times a week depending on how sunny it is. never leave it standing in water. and i mist it with water at least 2-3 times a day. mostly in the morning and in the evening. and If I'm home during the day, I mist it every 3-4 hours or so.
The potting mix is 50% peat moss, and 50% "green mix", which is a combination of roockwool and some kind of pebbles.

I had 6 shoots in my pot, so what I did was, I uprooted it, and discorvered that it was actually two plants in the same pot, having 3 shoots each. so I just replanted the two plants in seperate pots.
It should be possible to seperate the new shoots, if they develop ther own rootsystem, but mine had not done this.
But if you feel that the pot is getting to crowded, you could also try to just trim off the biggest stems, and use them for propagation. you should be able to get up to four new plants from one stem, with some luck. so maby you could try this when your plants has got healthier?
By Arcc
I dont know if I will cut my big stem to be honest as I love this plant as 1 lol. :P

So the plant has water droplets on its leaves from me spraying it once a day.

so from now on once a week i am going to take a picture of one of the pitchers growth a new picture will be uploaded once a week and uploaded to this thread.

week 1-10/06/12

By Arcc
Hey guys well today I got some live spagnum moss which I ran into by accident at pets at home. Strange but looking at garden centres I could never find it. So I bought it but it only came with a little bit and was very expensive. Upon bringing it home there was not enough spagnum to re pot my nepenthes into the pot I wanted to so I re potted it into a pot only a little bigger then the one it was already in. The substrate in the pot wasn't dead spagnum it looked allot like compost to be honest. This puzzled me. So I took the plant out but all the roots were root bound and tightly packed with the soil. so washing the plant for a long time reveled that the shoots were all connected it only 1 plant which is a let down.

So I tightly packed the spagnum into the pot.

I am not going to use the green house any more as I think the plant has recovered and I seem to be in the habit to spray it frequently.

So with the spagnum I had left I am trying to grow it. At the bottom is a small layer of peat I only had a little left and on top is the spagnum. How long do you guys think it will take for the spagnum to really start growing nice and big so I can have a nice culture of it?

This is a picture of my porch it is south facing and gets allot of sun shine.

Do you think this is efficient for my plants?
By CasperHA
I think it should work fine with the southfacing window, but be carefull not to give the nepenthes to much sun, It might burn the leaves
By Arcc
So hey guys do you remember this small pitcher?

Well that pitcher isnt so small anymore :)

The problem what the humidity. The plant has grow even more and looks amazing :)

Even my venus fly trap and spagnum moss has grown

So I thank everyone who helped me. I appreciate it very much.

ARCC
Is this a steal?

The first one is a Nepenthes x 'Ventrata' like Pan[…]

...and now you know better how to plan. ;)

My two go to choices are https://www.greenhouseme[…]

Catching the Nep fever

I have some seed grown neps if you are intersted. […]

You can try it. You don't want it in the window si[…]

Results of self pollinating?

Seeds, gray area. Plants, if shipping across state[…]

tommyr's grow list

pm'ed ya!

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

just pm'ed you!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!