FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Mpott302
I repotted in LFSM and some orchid bark/perlite mix (after three stores and still no perlite that’s what I settled for). Trimmed a couple totally brown leaves

How does the growth point look?

One of the leaves I cut has these black spots, is that just part of what’s already been taking place?

By Mpott302
48-52% is average humidity in my house but I’ll mist it a couple times a day and maybe I’ll try running a humidifier near it a little every day. Thanks everyone!
Mpott302 liked this
By oval
I can't tell by the pictures if your pot is plastic or glazed ceramic. I just wanted to make sure it has drainage holes.

If not, that would lead to root rot.

Also, and this is the difficult part for me, now that it is repotted, be very patient - it may take a few months to get healthy again. Hopefully it won't get worse.

If you need more humidity while it is recovering, a plastic bag can be helpful.

Good luck!
oval, oval liked this
By Mpott302
Oval, the pot is plastic. It doesn’t have drain holes but it does have a drain plug and also a plastic grate that keeps the soil from sitting in the bottom. The way I used to water it was water it from the top, soak it pretty good, then leave the drain plug out for a couple hours. I think what I’m gonna do now is fill dish with water, remove plug from pot, and set the pot in the water allowing the LFSM to soak the water up from the bottom. Basically the same as keeping a flytrap in a tray of water but I won’t leave it there full time
By Mpott302
I’ve had a couple more leaves turn completely brown so I cut them off. A pitcher that was fairly new when this all started is still growing (although it looks terrible) and I actually have a brand new pitcher growing so I’m pretty hopeful that things are gonna be ok. I’ll update with some pics soon
By Mpott302
Here are some pics to go with my previous post:

Here is the pitcher that was already growing. It is still showing growth but the color is very dark

Here is the new pitcher that started growing AFTER the repot

And here it looks like maybe it has a new/second growth point?

By SundewWolf
Looking pretty good. To me it looks like the growth point is just a bit warped from the cold damage but its growing pretty well so this plant will recover. Eventually all those older leaves will die and you will have a tall brown stem, but that naturally happens over time anyways. Maybe one of those leaves will survive and grow a pitcher even with the damage. You will have some basal shoots pop up a few weeks/months after that.
SundewWolf liked this
By Mpott302
Alright, I have some more progress pics. I have some nice green growth and I think it’s safe to say this plant is going to make it!

I have it under this light about 12hrs a day and put a shopping bag over it throughout the night to try to give it a little humidity. I do not know the details about the light but can anyone give me any insight on if the light should be closer or further away? More or less time per day?

By SundewWolf
At this point you will not need to be bagging it up. Plus, if the bag is only over the plant half of the time it's not doing much anyways.

12 hours should be ok. I run most of my plants on 10 or 11 hour light cycles. Without specifications on the light it's impossible to tell how good it is. Eventually if everything is growing well you will be able to tell somewhat, i.e. if it's light starved and not producing pitchers its not enough light, and if the pitchers are normal and maybe even some reddish blush on the leaves it's good enough. I personally tend to not provide my neps with too much light, I just have them under one or two daylight CFL or LED bulbs rated at 1500 lumens each.
By Mpott302
SundewWolf wrote:Without specifications on the light it's impossible to tell how good it is.

From what I can gather it’s 1360 lumens
By Mpott302
yardleyq1987 wrote:What a cool recovery story. Looking forward to more progress and pics on this. Good luck!

Thank you! I’m not sure my nep would’ve made a turn around if it wasn’t for the suggestions I’ve received on this forum. Thanks again to everyone that has chipped in!

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!