FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By sbrooks
This is my first season growing Nepenthes. Not much info seems available regarding which varieties are highland or lowland, etc. or whether they need dormancy. I have an Alata, a Lantern Alata, a Miranda, and a Gentle. Should I give them the same type of dormancy I'm giving my Dionaea (35-55 degrees, 8 or 9 hours of light daily), or is there other guidelines to follow for these? Or do I just bring them in and let them stay in a bright window at room temperature (65-75 degrees) all winter? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
By bigbowlowrong
The warmest, brightest, most humid spot you've got all winter. No species of Nepenthes wants, or requires dormancy. That said, the hardier forms can survive a wet and cool temperate winter but in this time they will completely stop growing.

What you'll be trying to do over winter is keep them alive until the spring. Unless you have a fantastically sunny, warm and humid windowsill they'll probably lose all their pitchers, this is to be expected. By the end of winter you'll probably have ugly, pitcherless plants but they will be alive and will be able to take full advantage of the warmer/longer/brighter/more humid days in spring and summer.

If you put them in the same conditions as your dormant Dionaea, they'll die.
bigbowlowrong liked this
By jwbates26
Your question about Nepenthes has been covered pretty well.
sbrooks wrote:Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you ever have a question about what growing conditions(temp, watering, humidity etc...) You can always look up the average climate conditions in which the plant in question is from and try to mimic those conditions.

Not the most helpful advice but maybe quicker then waiting for a reply and might help you understand growing conditions a little better.
jwbates26 liked this
By sbrooks
Thanks, BigBow and Jay-Dub. I have a big bay window that can be enclosed by thick curtains, or left partially open to allow some heat escape in the middle of the day. Only a couple hours of direct light a day, but plenty of brightness. The curtains should help keep the area warm enough and, along with other plants in the window, I' m guessing that it should retain decent humidity, especially if I mist once or twice a day. I appreciate the help!

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!