FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Gary
Hi all. I recently got a couple of ventratas and they've finally settled down and are making pitchers. The pitchers look a bit weird, as they have no lids, just a small opening in the top of the pitcher.
I usually water them in the bathroom, setting the pots in a tray to catch the overflow. Occasionally I find an ant in that bathroom, no idea where or how they come in. Today there were about a dozen of them crawling on one of the pitchers and I think they all wound up inside. That particular pitcher happened to be touching the counter.
Do nepenthes have some particular attraction for ants? I don't mind finding one or two a day on the countertop but a couple dozen is a different story.
By Gary
Yeah, they sure do. I put the same plant on the countertop today and presto, an ant party.
By optique
they don't get all the ants just a small %
the nectar seems to sedate them.

Gary liked this
By Gary
Bloody hell, that's a lot of ants! I set one of the ventratas in the bathroom sink and found a dozen or so an hour later. Definitely ant magnets.
Since these plants are going to be living indoors for the foreseeable future, I just hope they don't build a nest in the pot. I had that happen once, took me forever to find out why I kept finding ants in the kitchen.
RO water for Carnivorous Plants

I already have zero water pitchers. I have over[…]

Hello!

Welcome to the forum!

SASE received from ???

I have received a SASE from a South Carolina addre[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1715. I'll PM[…]

Seeds received, thanks to you and the donors!

Here's my D.M. 'Ghost'

As y’all know I spent a silly amount (for my[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!