FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By VenusFlyTrapLover
So I bought my nepenthes alata about a week ago, came with some pitchers formed. I put it outside in a shady place since the sun over here in Texas is scorching hot. Anyways, I knew the pitchers were going to die off since they're not use to the humidity and their new environment, but seems the leaves are taking a hit as-well, I water it daily, and keep it nice and moist. Do you think the plant will adjust to its new environment here in Texas? I try to keep it nicely watered. :roll:
By jadewuvchicken
It should acclimate eventually. I live in California and the heat skyrockets all the time. Try to mist the pitchers and the entire plant. I found that out from "Brads Greenhouse" videos and it helped most of my plants deal with the heat as well.
By killerplants4realz
It depends on where you live in Texas. Houston area Nepenthes grow like crazy.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
By Jeremias159
I think it might well be a N. x ventrata. But dont worry happened to my first plant to :/ The main thing is are the leaves dying of from the inside, or the outside of the stem? (I cant see anything on the picture.)

Dying off from the outside is ok, the plant will acclimate itself soon. If it is from the inside, it might well be an indicator of root rot.(Very bad!)
By VenusFlyTrapLover
The leaves are getting hit from the outside, with black spots, I'm guessing its just not use to the heat and humidity over here. But for some reason the two biggest leaves are hanging in, with no sign of black spots. Hopefully the plant can adjust! :D
By Jeremias159
Sounds great, your plant should soon start growing then.

Happy Growing :)
By VenusFlyTrapLover
Thats wonderful! Hopefully they get use to the sun and humidity, and start growing! I try to keep them nice and moist, misting them from above!
By omnipercp15
Full sun in Texas and full sun in Minnesota would be different. This is the situation to be careful of when people say what their growing conditions are like. Even outdoor conditions between Dallas, Tx and Houston, Tx might be different enough because of other conditions such as the humidity.

I would say that one should observe their plant and adjust accordingly.
omnipercp15 liked this

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!