FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By nimbulan
I personally would recommend not using LFS for rooting cuttings as it's the method most prone to rot. It works well for some but I have not had very good luck with it. I know live sphagnum works well because of the antimicrobial properties and have personally used pure perlite with good success (though I realize this may not work well for all species.) Some people also just stick the cuttings in water, though you need to make sure to change the water regularly to prevent growth of harmful micro-organisms.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:I personally would recommend not using LFS for rooting cuttings as it's the method most prone to rot. It works well for some but I have not had very good luck with it. I know live sphagnum works well because of the antimicrobial properties and have personally used pure perlite with good success (though I realize this may not work well for all species.) Some people also just stick the cuttings in water, though you need to make sure to change the water regularly to prevent growth of harmful micro-organisms.
Yeah, see, too many methods. Haha. Which one(s) do you wanna use a rooting hormone for?
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Forget about rooting hormones. There's no real evidence that it helps at all with Nepenthes and it's just as likely to prevent rooting if you use too much.
Good to know, thanks! I think I'll go with live sphagnum
By Greasy
Hamatas are easy to root, I use water to root most of my Nepenthes cutting and leave them in the same conditions as the parent plants. In my experience you don't need to change the water all that often, I usually just top it off from time to time. I prefer this method as you can see the progress of the cutting. When you see the base of the cutting start to split you're usually good to go.
Attachments:
hamata in water
hamata in water
IMG_0178.JPG (690.1 KiB) Viewed 3330 times
By tannerm
Greasy wrote:Hamatas are easy to root, I use water to root most of my Nepenthes cutting and leave them in the same conditions as the parent plants. In my experience you don't need to change the water all that often, I usually just top it off from time to time. I prefer this method as you can see the progress of the cutting. When you see the base of the cutting start to split you're usually good to go.
Ummmm... Image wanna just send that my way?

Honestly though, you just stick it in water and that's it? What about humidity and light levels? And what do you mean "when you see the base of the cutting start to split"?
By Greasy
Heh, that is actually an old pictures. I no longer have spare hamatas.

Yup, just water and on the windowsill out of direct sunlight. I grow all my plants on the windowsill with direct sunlight. Humidity can get pretty low and during the summer (july-sept) all my plants stop pitchering.

That water is pretty old, I think I had spaths in it before the hamata cuttings went in. I was told as cuttings root, auxins are released into the water which further helps other cuttings root.

During the rooting process, the cut will start to form a callous under the epidermis layer which will further split the stem vertically.
By tannerm
Greasy wrote:Heh, that is actually an old pictures. I no longer have spare hamatas.

Yup, just water and on the windowsill out of direct sunlight. I grow all my plants on the windowsill with direct sunlight. Humidity can get pretty low and during the summer (july-sept) all my plants stop pitchering.

That water is pretty old, I think I had spaths in it before the hamata cuttings went in. I was told as cuttings root, auxins are released into the water which further helps other cuttings root.

During the rooting process, the cut will start to form a callous under the epidermis layer which will further split the stem vertically.
Okay, interesting! As it turns out, they're going to root the cutting for me for $150... so that seems like a killer deal for N Hamata :)
By Fishman
I do mine in water too with ease. I as well like to see the progression. Granted i dont have any n.hamata, it still has worked many many times for me with all of my Nepenthes. Perlite works good too, just have to maintain moisture, or watch more closely. I prefer the lazy mans approach lol

Well, well, I never thought that our hobby would g[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!