FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By Fishkeeper
I currently have a small collection of plants that includes a few 'typical' flytraps, Cape and Spatulata sundews, two unidentified Lowe's sarracenia, U. Longifolia, U. Sandersonii, and N. Sanguinea. Everything fits in a 1' by 2' grow area. I would like to take these plants to college with me, but I sincerely doubt that any of the windows there (I've seen the buildings) will provide enough sunlight for them. Therefore, I need a light fixture.

Due to Fire Marshal regulations, I can only have LED lights. When I asked if grow lights would be allowed, I was informed that I'll need to send a link to the exact light for them to make a decision about whether it's something I can bring. I'd like to have a few options to show them and ask if any would be acceptable.

Requirements:
Must keep all plants listed happy. They don't need to be brilliantly colored, but I'd like them to be alive and growing.
Must be as low voltage as possible- the buildings are old.
Must be LED.
Preferably bright enough to keep a couple of orchids on the outskirts of the grow area happy as well.
By Fishkeeper
http://housing.utexas.edu/future/what-to-bring

About halfway down the page, it says "Study light: CFL bulbs or LED lights only."

The university Fire Marshal is very strict about things that could potentially cause fires, so I need a fixture that won't produce a lot of heat. Also, as the buildings and wiring are old, I need a fixture that doesn't require very much energy.
By SundewWolf
Anyways check this out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Full-Spectrum-L ... SwTA9X4laU

I use that on my Heliamphora and drosera falconeri. They work pretty good. He's also got other options on his ebay store. Bulbs only, so get good at ghetto-rigging.
By coffeenflowers
Do you have the money for something like this? Ray22 This fixture is only 45W and uses only passive cooling. It should just get warm. Otherwise you can find LED light bars at places like Home Depot. I've heard of people using ones made by Feit Electric, but I wouldn't expect them to be as good as the Fluence bar.
By Fishkeeper
I really don't think the Fire Marshal would go for the idea of a light fixture jury-rigged by a teenager. I need to find entire fixtures.

How does this look?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mars-300W-LED-G ... 2056909769

I'm trying to find a small fixture, not a 4' tube. I only have a 2' by 1.5' grow area, after all, and no plans to expand that.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!