FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

List the plants you grow

Moderator: Matt

By Hswiger
Hi my children just got a Venus fly trap and also an pitcher plant for Christmas. I was reading the directions and it stated that you could only use bottled,rain,or distilled water. Would melted snow work? Or would deer park bottled water work? I’m new to his and don’t want to kill my plants. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciate.
By evenwind
Welcome to the Forums! You should probably take a look at this thread to get you started:
beginners-before-posting-your-question- ... 11581.html

As far as your specific question, as you've read, only mineral-free water should be used. So rain, distilled or R/O (reverse osmosis) water is needed. Most bottled water has disolved minerals in it - if it doesn't start off with minerals, they're added for taste - so best to ovoid it. I assume that clean, melted snow should be fine, it just blinged-up rainwater after all.

If you find rain, snow and/or distilled water hard to come by and are nowhere near ready for a R/O setup, another inexpensive choice is a ZeroWater water pitcher set (not other brands, they don't remove all the disolved minerals).

Good luck!
By Shadowtski
Welcome and Merry Christmas.
Matt has a number of good articles posted at Http://www.flytrapcare.com for new growers.

There are a lot of nice people here, along with a few old Grinches, like me. :)

You should find anything you're looking for. And if you don't find it, just ask.

Good growing,
Mike
Question about flytraps

They should not die, unless you do something extre[…]

I’m pretty into how your new traps look, but[…]

Drosera seeds in water?

Don't know about the peroxide, either. I have trie[…]

If you keep your plants outside, they will feed th[…]

You might also run into problems with the plant […]

Kinetin vs BAP ?

Can Kinetin be an adequate substitution for BA[…]

Do Long Summer Days Affect CPs?

You don't need to worry about the hours of sunlig[…]

Honestly, I don't know. The leaves look like they […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!