FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By ChefDean
Not a new species, but new to Kentucky. Plus, even though it doesn't give the exact location, it's roughly the area that my wife's family's cemetery is.
So, I'll be buried on the Cumberland Plateau, looking down the Cumberland Gap, next to D. rotundifolia. I'm down!
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... tid=Nif5oz
Intheswamp, andynorth liked this
By Intheswamp
Hey, when they bury you can I have your d. Regia? I’m having a bad go of it getting any Regia seed to germinate so this’ll be great! You’re a good friend, Chef! Thanks again. Btw, I’ve got the perfect place to put them! :D
By andynorth
That is really cool. I do wish we had something of the sort in Western WA but I think it might be too wet for them to survive. Finding new CP locations fascinates me. I believe Barry Rice located some Drosera in Montana's Glacier National Park. I do not recall which Drosera it was but he and his wife have traveled the world sniffing out (for lack of a better word) CP's all over the world. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to some of his discoveries. https://sarracenia.com/faq.html
It is really a slew of great info and pics, field trips to all his and his wife's findings, etc.
By ChefDean
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:46 am Hey, when they bury you can I have your d. Regia? I’m having a bad go of it getting any Regia seed to germinate so this’ll be great! You’re a good friend, Chef! Thanks again. Btw, I’ve got the perfect place to put them! :D
Next repot we'll make sure to get you some root cuttings, those strike easier. Otherwise, I'll make sure you're in my will for one pot of D. regia.
Intheswamp liked this
By ChefDean
andynorth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:06 am That is really cool. I do wish we had something of the sort in Western WA but I think it might be too wet for them to survive
Ah, but there is, and they love the wet. Pins and dots are rotundifolia, a Utric, S. purpurea, and S. flava. Assuming a correct ID, the flava was probably introduced.
Screenshot_20231108_041655_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20231108_041655_Chrome.jpg (156.26 KiB) Viewed 859 times
By Intheswamp
ChefDean wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:13 am
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:46 am Hey, when they bury you can I have your d. Regia? I’m having a bad go of it getting any Regia seed to germinate so this’ll be great! You’re a good friend, Chef! Thanks again. Btw, I’ve got the perfect place to put them! :D
Next repot we'll make sure to get you some root cuttings, those strike easier. Otherwise, I'll make sure you're in my will for one pot of D. regia.
Does this mean I get to start callin' ya "Unc"? :lol:

Don't count me out yet on the regia...I'ma still tryin',... Unc!!! 8-) Though, it isn't looking that great at the moment. :?
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:22 am
andynorth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:06 am That is really cool. I do wish we had something of the sort in Western WA but I think it might be too wet for them to survive
Ah, but there is, and they love the wet. Pins and dots are rotundifolia, a Utric, S. purpurea, and S. flava. Assuming a correct ID, the flava was probably introduced.
Screenshot_20231108_041655_Chrome.jpg
Sweet. Where did you find this? I would like to find exactly where they are. I am a ways South of most of them but my daughter lives in Everett so maybe a trip up to see her and then some plants. Thanks @ChefDean.
By Intheswamp
Panman wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:02 pm
Intheswamp wrote:Hey, when they bury you can I have your d. Regia?
First dibs on his sarrs! :lol:
Does this mean I call you "Cuz"? :lol:
By ChefDean
andynorth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:24 pm Sweet. Where did you find this? I would like to find exactly where they are. I am a ways South of most of them but my daughter lives in Everett so maybe a trip up to see her and then some plants. Thanks @ChefDean.
I found these here...
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/ca ... of-the-pnw
But it was a search specifically for western Washington state.
By andynorth
ChefDean wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:57 pm
andynorth wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:24 pm Sweet. Where did you find this? I would like to find exactly where they are. I am a ways South of most of them but my daughter lives in Everett so maybe a trip up to see her and then some plants. Thanks @ChefDean.
I found these here...
https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/ca ... of-the-pnw
But it was a search specifically for western Washington state.
Thank you. I have joined the iNaturalist Community. Very cool site indeed. Wondering if there are any members here. And you are correct, the Flava species was introduced to the lake and then spread. From the site "Introduced in Skagit County, US, WA: arrived in the region via anthropogenic means". Maybe I will head up to that lake next spring and see if I can locate and maybe try introducing some seeds to see if they grow. Why should you guys down near Okefenokee and other areas where they thrive have all the fun!!!!
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!