FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By dionaea muscipula
Hello all.

I have had my N.Ventricosa for nearly a year now, the problem i have is that all of a sudden, the lids of all the pitchers (including newly opened ones) closed and would not open. i don't know what is going on. but it seems to be outgrowing its pot... i don't know if that has something to do with closed lids

Omar,
By alvin
Is it because the plant is getting old?
By snapperhead51
dionaea muscipula wrote:Hello all.

I have had my N.Ventricosa for nearly a year now, the problem i have is that all of a sudden, the lids of all the pitchers (including newly opened ones) closed and would not open. i don't know what is going on. but it seems to be outgrowing its pot... i don't know if that has something to do with closed lids

Omar,
Omar have you got a picture we can look at please ,one year is not old , have some here, in the same pot that are 10 years old, but have been trimmed a lot !! usually problems occur when low light and low humidity occur, I know a lot of people differ but man you need to go to Borneo or Malaysia or Indonesia and sample the climate conditions first hand , its why they only grow there and no where else and a few other places of cause but the climate is the same , , high humidity and high rain fall and lots of sun !! and that's what we need to imitate!!to get these plants to grow right !! too much out side there environment and you get problems !! so check out your humidity and water quality fist and then we can go from there if you want !!
By alvin
I thought N. Ventricosa can thrive in low humidity? :?
By dionaea muscipula
well. humidity is fairly high. about 50%-70% throughout the day. i water it every day (spaying it) and it was doing very good until now. oh and i have had the plant for about a year but the plant isn't a year old, its older, just that i have had it for about a year.
By snapperhead51
ok humidity ok ,water rain water I hope , but neps will tolerate tap water , have you got spotting on the leafs black or red spots !! and any of the leafs have any signs of leaf curl or black on the tips of the leaf and not growing any more tendrils
perhaps a pic may help this is a plant about 4 years old a TC plant . and what the pitchers should like similar too this has slowed off dew to our winter time
Attachments:
P1090246.JPG
P1090246.JPG (42.78 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
P1090245.JPG
P1090245.JPG (70.23 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
By corky
maybe because it too big for its pot you can not get the growing media wet enough for long enough,i would try repotting if the problem carries on
By dionaea muscipula
snapperhead51 wrote:ok humidity ok ,water rain water I hope , but neps will tolerate tap water , have you got spotting on the leafs black or red spots !! and any of the leafs have any signs of leaf curl or black on the tips of the leaf and not growing any more tendrils
perhaps a pic may help this is a plant about 4 years old a TC plant . and what the pitchers should like similar too this has slowed off dew to our winter time
Nope. no red dot, no black dot, water is distilled. i will repot it as corky mentioned and inform you guys how it goes, Thank you
Oddly shaped Sarr

Hey all, a couple of pitchers came up with corkscr[…]

May 2024 Photo Contest - In the Bog

Here’s my big! Established in late 2021 Fi[…]

Since I’m sending a SASE anyway…

Does this Rooting hormone work for Byblis?

I’ve grown Byblis for a while but never trie[…]

That looks something like mineral burn. What subst[…]

Nepenthes cold shock?

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of nepenth[…]

New to carnivorous plants!

I have two little pots (the ones they came from L[…]

Will go out in the mail tomorrow. :D

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!