FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By tish
Small pitchers from the bottom means there is a diversion? Anyway congrats on the growth!

In my case, I'm started to get worried, I remember it was mentioned before that pitcher will grow to dried off and die naturally but just not sure about my case as the pressure is on me.

Total 4 drying up, 2 more on the other side.
By Outcast
So I got one recently from Flytrapcare.com and immediately moved it to a larger pot and placed it in a nice area where it gets afternoon sun. Unfortunately last night my neighbors were having a Labor Day party and one of the toddlers that they had over (I say toddler, because I would hope the other kids are old enough to know not to mess with other peoples stuff) pulled it out of the pot and broke off at least 2 of the small pitchers. I hope it pulls through.

I also notices that one of my Serracenia purpurea plants was also pulled up, and all the fluid/bugs in digestion were dumped out... I added a little bit of distilled water to them (S.), and re-potted both plants (it didn't seem as though the Ceph or Serrac had any root damage). Hopefully they both survive. Because the Serracenia will be ready to divide next year.
By jwbates26
Sorry to hear about your plants. Purps are very tough and you may not even see a change in it. The ceph on the other hand may go through a little shock. I think you'll be ok since you said you don't see much, if any, damage to the roots and rhizomes. On suggestion if your ceph is a young or small plant would be keep the soil of you ceph moist not saturated. Do to the roots being disrubted they won't be as efficient at taking up water until they reestablish throughout the soil, making it easy for your plant to become dehydrated. If you're affaid of keeping it to wet you could increase the humidity instead.

Also, keep in mind that it is easy to blame children since there were a few around but being outside anything could have up rooted your plants. Many people have had squirrels or birds disrupt their plants. I have even had mice dig mine up. I'm not saying it wasn't the kids but it could help with the anxiety when children come by again.
Last edited by jwbates26 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwbates26 liked this
By Outcast
Yeah. After speaking with my neighbor about it. There was only her child and a two year old that stayed near her mother, at the party. She did say that she noticed some squirrel scat on the porch... Because she keeps her cat food bag out there... So yeah, I think it was either the squirrels or possibly a skunk. This weekend I will probably be building a small table to get it up a little higher.

Also, thanks for the advice on watering. I generally keep the soil moist on it, I read somewhere that if it is kept too wet they can suffer from some sort of rot. So I empty out the tray the day after watering to allow the saturation level to drop. When the tray shows little to no dampness I water again. This way the soil always stays moist, but not saturated...

I am really just learning with Ceph's. and the others. So hopefully I don't kill them all... I have my first Nepenthes and sundews coming in soon as well...

Talk about jumping in head first, eh?
By jwbates26
Its been a while since I've posted pictures of this guy. I think the last update I said I moved it down stairs into a windowsill since it was getting to hot upstairs under my lights. I have noticed a change in color, less color, and more none carnivorous leaves growing. I don't mind the leaves. I might try some leaf pullings with them. Pitcher size also has seemed to have decreased as well. I plan on moving it back under the lights as soon as it cools off. I have also read these can survive without dormancy; which their dormancy is only a light dormancy, but I've had this plant for three years now and have kept it under lights the entire time. Maybe I'll leave it be this winter and let it do whatever it wants in a nature light environment and see how it likes a winter rest.
Ceph.jpg
Ceph.jpg (122.52 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Ceph1.jpg
Ceph1.jpg (254.84 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Ceph2.jpg
Ceph2.jpg (299.4 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Ceph3.jpg
Ceph3.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 4559 times
Last edited by jwbates26 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tish
Jason,

They do seems to grow more crowded. I was only able to tell when I compared to the last photo update lol. Looks like it may be a good time to split once you hit the next summer
tish liked this
By jwbates26
Well after everything I've put this little guy through, he is finally starting to produce mature pitchers again. I have killed this thing down to the rhizome at least twice but he's a survivor. I've trimmed him up a bit just to give it some room to grow. Hopefully it'll start looking like my other one soon.
ceph1.jpg
ceph1.jpg (283.37 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Ceph.jpg
Ceph.jpg (370.64 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
jwbates26, jwbates26 liked this
By jwbates26
Its taken awhile but the pitcher finally opened and has some nice color to it. I'm ready for it to fill out.
Ceph.jpg
Ceph.jpg (314.67 KiB) Viewed 4431 times
Last edited by jwbates26 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwbates26, jwbates26 liked this
By Snap Traps
Great plant Jason :D . Have you ever considered growing them vertically to make a nice display?
Snap Traps liked this
By jwbates26
A couple weeks ago I was cornered by the Botany teacher because she found out from her students that I grow CP. She asked me to come in and do a presentation over them. A perk for my efforts is that I get a key to the fully automated $150k green house at the school I work at and a corner all to myself :D Its ok you can be jealous... 8-)

I took a few plants to show the difference type of carnivorous plants. A nepenthes, ceph, sarras, dews and of course a flytrap. They loved the presentation and plants. I was surprised at some of the questions they asked and answers they gave. They really thought them out. I had them mix media up, plant some seeds and re-pot some plants. We also took a couple leaf pullings and root cuttings. Hopefully they'll have some sundews to take home before the class ends.

Anyways my bigger Ceph is one that I have placed in the green house and it is starting to get some nice color. It looks a lot better then what it did in my windowsill. I've got a lot of non carnivorous leaves now that I can try and do some pullings and hopefully have a high success percentage.
Ceph.jpg
Ceph.jpg (446.23 KiB) Viewed 4340 times
I'm going to take full advantage of this green house and hopefully I can increase my sphagnum collection.

still growing, inside pitcher still looks OK hopin[…]

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!