I kept putting it off but finally decided to go "all in" on replacing them with a very attractive (albeit expensive) option: powder-coated galvanized steel tanks!
I got four of them that are 2x2x6, one 2x2x5, and one 2x2x4. The tanks themselves were pretty expensive and getting them powder coated was about the same cost as the tanks themselves. Leah wasn't thrilled with the cost, but she does very much like the end result!
We plan on using 2 of them for annual and perennial flowering plants and the other 4 are for carnivores!! I started filling 3 of them yesterday and made pretty good progress. I'm using mostly Sarracenia but have a little section of flytraps in one planter and plan to add some D. filiformis to another section of one. So I'll have Dionaea, Drosera and Sarracenia out there. I'm also going to put some Darlingtonia in another one.
They already look pretty darn good! I woke up this morning and went to our front door just to look at them!!
This is one side of the entry way with three of the 2x2x6 tanks. The tank in front is mostly Sarracenia, including S. jonesii, S. alabamensis, S. flava, S. lecuophylla (AJ01 and Tarnok), and S x Judith Hindle. I think that's all of them! I plan to add the D. filiformis to the front corner as well. This is the second tank on the same side and it has all the same Sarrs plus some Venus flytraps in front. The tank in front on the other side has all Sarracenia. Same species and varieties listed above, but also S. x catesbaei, S. x (oreophila x leucophylla) and S. x Dixie Lace (thanks @MikeB!). In the foreground, you can also see one of the 4 big pots of Sarracenia that sit on our brick wall guarding the entryway. I'm super excited to have this project mostly complete and have it looking so good, particularly given the fact that we are only in the second week of January! I just need to finish up by bringing in some fresh wood chips.
I can't wait for spring and summer now!!!