FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SMP
Hi! I recently bought what I think is a purpurea x oreophila and it seems to have been doing alright as it’s been putting out lots of new pitchers. However, I’ve noticed this fine trail of mold (?) on some of the older damaged pitchers, and I’m not sure if it’s harmful or not. Do you guys know anything?

Also, I’ve got it in a glass container as where I live the water tray method didn’t work very well due to a lot of evaporation. I tried it with my sundew but it was at a serious risk of dehydration and I’m not home much through out the week. But would humidity within the glass be causing it?
Thank you!
Attachments:
8BA9721D-BAF3-46FD-9BEE-B983BE54BAD1.jpeg
8BA9721D-BAF3-46FD-9BEE-B983BE54BAD1.jpeg (596.62 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
By Matt
A glass container that severely limits air movement will certainly lead to mold issues. It also looks like the plant isn't getting enough sunlight. Put lack of air movement, lack of sunlight, and very moist conditions together and that results in ideal conditions for mold.

It is best to grow carnivorous plants outside with full sun and good ventilation. If the water tray method didn't work for you due to evaporation, try a larger and deeper tray. Dehydration should be an easy issue to fix. Conditions for mold are also easy to fix, but if left unaddressed mold will quickly kill many plants!
By SMP
Thanks so much for your advice! I'll repot asap
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I might just look for an Aquascape b[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (esse[…]

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!