FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post here to sell, trade or list your wants if you live in the US

Moderator: Matt

By madrone
Heya - I'm considering a couple ping purchases, but am wondering if any of the ones that I'm looking for might be available through a trade situation. The main ones I'm drooling over at the moment are:
  • 'Red Starfish'
    medusina
    'Golden Eye'
    debbertiana
    debbertiana (metallic purple)
    esseriana 'Black'
I have a variety of pings that I could trade back, or utrics, sarrs. Check my growlist in my signature, and you can see which ones I've marked as having extras of. Of course if you see a non-extra you like, I could see if a prop is possible!
By twitcher
Greetings. We appear to be looking for the same things, for the most part. I'd love to do a trade, but the only thing I have on your list is the debber, but just don't have any available at the moment I mainly just want to comment that you have a really nice ping collection. Maybe down the road...
By madrone
Yes! Let's stay in touch. I'd love it if we could do a future trade. Consider me interested in your debbertiana - if you make a prop, let me know!

If I get a lead on any of these, I'll let you know! And thanks for the comment on my little collection. It has grown a lot in the last 5 years, but I just have so much fun growing these guys, I haven't been able to stop. 😉
By ChefDean
xanthoparmelia wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm @madrone is a great trader. The plants I received from her were attentively packaged, clearly labeled and definitely well-cared-for. Trade with confidence.
I second this.
I have only received one Sarr from Madrone so far, but there was great care in packaging and shipping.
It has gone from rhizome to over 30 pitchers in a few months in this Tennessee weather. But I know it wouldn't have done half that if it hadn't been very well cared for prior to me getting it.
You won't be disappointed.
By Apollyon
ChefDean wrote:
xanthoparmelia wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:59 pm @madrone is a great trader. The plants I received from her were attentively packaged, clearly labeled and definitely well-cared-for. Trade with confidence.
I second this.
I have only received one Sarr from Madrone so far, but there was great care in packaging and shipping.
It has gone from rhizome to over 30 pitchers in a few months in this Tennessee weather. But I know it wouldn't have done half that if it hadn't been very well cared for prior to me getting it.
That's very impressive. I have some sarrs from mike wang that aren't quite there yet. I imagine it has more to do with conditions though. They're a full blown sun plant and I got them partial. Going to put them out in the open tomorrow I think.

That's what makes me want to trade on the forum. People here are enthusiasts and love what they do so you're likely to get something very nice and well cared for. I'd trade honestly but I don't have any of this target list with pings :(
By ChefDean
Apollyon wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:33 amThat's very impressive. I have some sarrs from mike wang that aren't quite there yet. I imagine it has more to do with conditions though. They're a full blown sun plant and I got them partial. Going to put them out in the open tomorrow I think.
I honestly believe that environmental conditions do play a major role, probably 75% of the results. Obviously providing the proper care for the plant is important, it produced a very healthy rhizome that took off running.
At the same time I got mine, another member got an identical rhizome from Madrone. He's in Nebraska (less humidity, more wind) and, last I heard, his was doing about half what mine is.
As for full sun, all my cp's are in direct morning sunlight until about 11ish, then shade the rest of the day.
By Apollyon
ChefDean wrote: I honestly believe that environmental conditions do play a major role, probably 75% of the results. Obviously providing the proper care for the plant is important, it produced a very healthy rhizome that took off running.
At the same time I got mine, another member got an identical rhizome from Madrone. He's in Nebraska (less humidity, more wind) and, last I heard, his was doing about half what mine is.
As for full sun, all my cp's are in direct morning sunlight until about 11ish, then shade the rest of the day.
Absolutely, I agree. That can be shown in the color these plants display as well. I do try to give mine the most sun I can. Where they are currently, they sit between the house and fence line in a location that allows for mid-morning to late-afternoon sun depending on where the plant is. Half of the reason I've kept them there is because of the wind, especially now during "hurricane season," the gusts through these months can be pretty abusive some days. They're on concrete because it isn't uncommon that my backyard can get flooded. Typically drag them back a few feet to catch the afternoon if I'm around for it. The rhizome sounds a lot more mature too. Species might also be a factor outside of age. I noticed that it is the flavas I have that are doing that. They're showing growth now though so we'll see what happens. Hoping they show some growth over the fall because they're beautiful plants.
ChefDean liked this
By xanthoparmelia
ChefDean wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 am I honestly believe that environmental conditions do play a major role, probably 75% of the results. Obviously providing the proper care for the plant is important, it produced a very healthy rhizome that took off running.
Who the hell thought it was a good idea to try to grow Sarracenia in Nebraska? ;)
ChefDean liked this
By ChefDean
xanthoparmelia wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:40 pmWho the hell thought it was a good idea to try to grow Sarracenia in Nebraska? ;)
I know, right?!?!
Some people just ain't wrapped tight in the head!
xanthoparmelia liked this
By madrone
xanthoparmelia wrote:@madrone is a great trader. The plants I received from her were attentively packaged, clearly labeled and definitely well-cared-for. Trade with confidence.
ChefDean wrote: I second this.
Hey guys - thanks a lot for the endorsements. I definitely enjoy cultivating these plants and sharing them through forums is a great way to meet/interact with like-minded hobbyists and/or serious growers ( I fall into the first category).

Also the note on growing conditions for sarrs (well, really all plants) - is so true. I had a couple chunks left of the plant I sent to Dean and others. Inadvertently, I gave them different growing treatments, and now at the end of the growing season, the difference between the three plants is striking. Maybe I'll try and take some pics and post something just for interest.
Apollyon wrote:I'm unsure of esseriana black, I've never seen it. I tried to look for it. Do you have a pic of this ping?
I just heard of it this summer. I also wasn't really able to find anything picture-wise through online searches, but spotted a pot of it in a collection photo on reddit. My esseriana can get a nice pink blush, but these seemed to color up to a darker red. Still, I'm not sure if it's just a color form, or something more that distinguishes it. Just thought I'd put a feeler out in this community to see if I could find one to compare on my own.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!