FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Liam107
Hi everyone,
I am just getting my plants ready for dormancy (actually just put them in) and was wondering if I should change my potting mix for my sundews (not just for dormancy). Right now they are in 50% peat 50% perlite, and they have taken a turn for the worse. Anyway, would they grow better in LFS (long fibered sphagnum) or in sphagnum peat moss. Taking anyone's input.
By stubbingsj
Liam107 wrote:Hi everyone,
I am just getting my plants ready for dormancy (actually just put them in) and was wondering if I should change my potting mix for my sundews (not just for dormancy). Right now they are in 50% peat 50% perlite, and they have taken a turn for the worse. Anyway, would they grow better in LFS (long fibered sphagnum) or in sphagnum peat moss. Taking anyone's input.
In terms of taking care of your plants, I would say SM or LFSM helps A LOT. I am in my last year of high school, so I am constantly bouncing between home, high school, and college. However, I don't have to worry about coming home late and not watering my plants because they are in SM, so I know they will still be wet. Also, Sarrs need a little more moisture than VFTs, (you can check me on this) and SM provides that perfectly. I have one of my Sarrs in SM and the others in 50/50 peat perlite. The ones in the 50/50 are doing okay, but the one in the SM is doing exceptionally well.
stubbingsj liked this
By Fang
I'm not really sure about sundews, but my VFT plant is also preparing for dormancy and I have it in LFSM. It's doing pretty well. Others have also said that VFTs grow better in lfsm compared to peat moss. However, lfsm holds a lot of water so, like stubbings said, you wouldn't have to water as often, but its risky to the inexperienced. Over watering, and cold temperatures if your plants are outside, will quickly lead to fungal/algae growth.

There could also be other factors leading to your plants' decline of health. Do you have any pictures of your plants?

Overall I'd say give the lfsm a shot, but just be careful about watering. Make sure to use non-enriched moss. I recommend better-gro orchid moss if you do try it.
Fang liked this
By stubbingsj
Fang wrote:However, lfsm holds a lot of water so, like stubbings said, you wouldn't have to water as often, but its risky to the inexperienced. Over watering, and cold temperatures if your plants are outside, will quickly lead to fungal/algae growth.
I agree. Just touch your finger to the top of the LSFM; if it's still damp, don't give the plant more water.
stubbingsj liked this
By Liam107
I think that I'm going to wait until after dormancy to change the potting. It has been a few weeks now, and my sundews, vft, and sarra's are all entering dormancy happily. I'm a little nervous because my sarra is in LFS and is by far the best plant. I don't want it to get a fungal infection.
By Fang
If they are just starting to enter dormancy it may be best to wait until they come out before re-potting so they don't suffer any form of shock.

As long as you don't over water the sarra, it should be fine. no worries :) fungus only grows when conditions are constantly wet in low low light or cool temperatures. Pretty much the same conditions required for fungus to grow in nature.

Of course your plant shouldn't be allowed to go bone dry, even if it does require less watering. If the moss is still moist on top then underneath it will definitely still be moist. It most cases when the top is dry the under part is still moist, especially down toward the bottom of the container. It wouldn't hurt to poke your finger a little way down into the moss to feel. Usually when the top gets dry, though, a little bit of water wouldn't hurt.

I personally thought about picking up a little moisture meter to help check water levels deeper down into my various plant containers. Something like that might be useful.

Good luck and happy dormancy!
By Sander
I would keep them in peat/perlite, unless they are south american (1/3 peat/sand (1-2mm diam)), mine grow perfectly fine in them so it could be something entirely different cause the issues.
I have some Dionaea in LFSM, and u rarely have to water them (its hard to judge when), at one time i even had magic mushrooms growing in the pot (they were in a greenhouse).

Another issue i see, is the moss overgrowing the lower sundews
Im even gone plant my vft in peat/perlite with a top layer of lfsm (for looks) because of the risks of all lfsm) combined with the facts(maybe just in my case) no beneficial effects have been found.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!