FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By Cross
So I'm trying to decide on a light for best growth and especially coloration. (If you have an opinion, I'll take it). I have a trev's Dracula and Darn it I want the color. So I'm looking at these lights. Nearly all of the reviews and pictures I swear are for growing pot lol. We need to leave more reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CHCFCG1/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YWZF5 ... psc=1&th=1

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

By MaxVft
Both those grow lights should be more than enough for your CPs, speaking wattage/power/etc..

I use the Yescom 225 red/blue (white is also optimal)($30) for coloration. Only con is if you want to get perfect coloration with it you gotta keep it super close to plants.

I also have heard the Marshydro 600 ($80) is very popular with CP growers.
By Cross
Thanks so much. I had them out in the sun all summer and didn't really get any good coloration at all.

By MaxVft
Cross wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:27 pm Thanks so much. I had them out in the sun all summer and didn't really get any good coloration at all.
Lol yes I 100 percent agree, my outdoor VFTs are almost all-green in 12+ hours of direct light.
By nimbulan
Cross wrote:So I'm trying to decide on a light for best growth and especially coloration. (If you have an opinion, I'll take it). I have a trev's Dracula and Darn it I want the color. So I'm looking at these lights. Nearly all of the reviews and pictures I swear are for growing pot lol. We need to leave more reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CHCFCG1/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07YWZF5 ... psc=1&th=1

Yeah there's a reason for that. Pot growers have been a major driving force in the development of grow lights, particularly LEDs. It's still one of the primary markets for the lights. They're also unfortunately the ones who invented "blurple" which has resulted in a great amount of misinformation about plant lighting.
elaineo liked this
By elaineo
Hahaha, it's the same with hydroponics. It all seems to cater to pot growers. Normal people usually grow their crops outside, where sunlight is free. The only reason you would have a major grow operation indoors is if you don't want the neighbors to see what you're doing :? :? :? :lol:
By elaineo
random shower thought -- could UV light make a difference in coloration? UV light makes people change color, after all. I'm going to point a blacklight at some plants and see what happens.
Panman, MaxVft liked this
By Rammplins
elaineo wrote:Normal people usually grow their crops outside
I thought I was a normal person. Are you trying to tell me that not everyone has turned their basement into a CP growroom? how odd. what else would you use it for?
Panman, elaineo, MaxVft and 1 others liked this
By MaxVft
@Rammplins that makes 2 of us :lol:
By Panman
Many years ago, probably 20, I went looking for fluorescent grow light bulbs and was informed, with all sincerity, by a lady in a hardware store that, "We don't sell those. They are used for growing marijuana!" And to think, I just wanted to use them to start my tomato seeds.
MaxVft, elaineo liked this
By nimbulan
elaineo wrote:Hahaha, it's the same with hydroponics. It all seems to cater to pot growers. Normal people usually grow their crops outside, where sunlight is free. The only reason you would have a major grow operation indoors is if you don't want the neighbors to see what you're doing :? :? :? :lol:
Well also because it's a tropical plant and carefully controlled growing conditions are very important to the quality of the final product.

In any case, indoor food growing and supplemental lighting for greenhouses are both growing markets, so the focus on marijuana won't last forever.
By elaineo
nimbulan wrote:
elaineo wrote:Hahaha, it's the same with hydroponics. It all seems to cater to pot growers. Normal people usually grow their crops outside, where sunlight is free. The only reason you would have a major grow operation indoors is if you don't want the neighbors to see what you're doing :? :? :? :lol:
Well also because it's a tropical plant and carefully controlled growing conditions are very important to the quality of the final product.

In any case, indoor food growing and supplemental lighting for greenhouses are both growing markets, so the focus on marijuana won't last forever.
I mean, "crops" are plants that are mass-produced for profit. The reason people normally don't grow crops indoors is because the cost of running grow lights would cut into the profits. For tropical plants (eg bananas), It's much cheaper to import them from South America, than to try to create controlled growing conditions here. Marijuana is a unique industry because it's federally illegal but many states have legalized it, so we can't import it or bring it across state borders even though we are allowed to consume it locally (at least in my state). As a result, people have to grow it in their basements under controlled conditions.
By Z_Y
I remember 10 years ago when LED lights were just getting started to be big on the scene, most of the research into spectrums and the effects of blurple colored lights were either from NASA or from pot growers. The dichotomy was pretty funny.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

So sorry I can’t make it for this one. If th[…]

Finally

After a few nights in the 20s I can finally put th[…]

Hunting D. Binata

I'm hunting D. Binata Dichotoma Giant, D Binata Mu[…]

The plants will eat some of the mosquito larvae, b[…]

it says it can be reproduced vegetatively or by […]

It's slowly dying due to lack of light. These need[…]

This request is over two weeks old. If confirmatio[…]

Flower stalks for sale

Hello! I'd like one of each of the following (es[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!