FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By JPowell490
Anytime. Remember, any questions I can help with, feel free to post or PM.
By JPowell490
Not good SSS. The other brands throw a bunch of white or magenta colored LED's at the plant and expect miracles. Most are the cheap Chinese fixtures you get off ebay.

There is a large difference in the spectral output of the Kessil logic.
By Brett
Hi
I would like your opinion on this LED light for CP plants.
To me it looks on the Dim side so maybe it could be used to help with
dormancy. Basically it is 36" long and has 68... 1 watt white Leds at 400 Lumens and 4... 1Watt Blue Leds also at 400 Lumens. The Brand is Marine land
Can you possibly compare this to a any other kind of light so I have a idea of what it can do? Here is a link to the product.
http://www.marineland.com/Products/disc ... ystem.aspx

Thanks for your time...... Brett
By JPowell490
Hi Brett,

Very familiar with those actually. The single bright do not have much output. They would be too dim for sure as I have seen these in person.
By killerplants4realz
Any one out here that needs help with lights hit up my man JPowell490. He is the man who will make your plants smile:) He also can help you with your light saber problems!!! No he helped me a lot thanks JPowell!
By nimbulan
Brett wrote:Hi
I would like your opinion on this LED light for CP plants.
To me it looks on the Dim side so maybe it could be used to help with
dormancy. Basically it is 36" long and has 68... 1 watt white Leds at 400 Lumens and 4... 1Watt Blue Leds also at 400 Lumens. The Brand is Marine land
Can you possibly compare this to a any other kind of light so I have a idea of what it can do? Here is a link to the product.
http://www.marineland.com/Products/disc ... ystem.aspx

Thanks for your time...... Brett
If you look closely at the picture of the box for that light fixture, you'll see the entire fixture is only rated at 300-400 lumens depending on the size you order. It also only uses 0.06W LEDs. A 2-tube T5HO fluorescent fixture of similar size produces 4000 lumens and is considered on the low side for growing carnivorous plants.

I've read about people having some success with similar panels that use MUCH more powerful LEDs but it's probably not recommended unless a spectrograph is published indicating that the lights are producing the correct wavelengths for plant growth. Many aquarium lights focus heavily on blue light and may not include any red at all which is an important component.
By JPowell490
earlgrey, nope. Made for fish and corals. Not Horticulture. There is a place holding a sale on the Kessil 150 Purple right now for 97.00. That is a great deal.
By nimbulan
earlgrey wrote:What about this one?
http://www.aquaticlife.com/light-fixtures/edge-led
It's the website and you can click on the specs on the left side for more info
Their spec sheet doesn't give any indication of lumen output, unfortunately. The panel looks like it leans too heavily towards blue light though, which is very common with aquarium lights. They really are not designed to grow plants with.
By JPowell490
Alvin,

These are the Chinese "Apollo" fixtures just re-badged and marketed different. The problem is that they run these LED's at 3 Watts, which is their maximum most of the time, and that is not the correct approach. They are thinking "if we provide people with the most powerful LED possible, they will want that".

No, that isn't the correct way at looking at LED's. LED's are so much more powerful than normal lighting, you don't want to overdo it and burn your plants. Yes, you can burn your plants.

The secret to LED lighting, is UV. There is one light that actually utilizes true UV. Kessil.

Oh, so if I plant it somewhere that's a know mosqu[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

ok cool I will see where I might move him on my ne[…]

Sundew in forest

That's fine. There is a reason I was asking.

I just confirmed today that my regia is "Big […]

I have Flexx and Big Mouth in my collection; they'[…]

Shoo’, that got big fast didn’t it? […]

Order received. Your order number is 1645. I'll PM[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Thanks for your input ChefDean! Great idea. It wil[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!