FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By earlgrey
Can you elaborate on why utilizing led requires the use of UV? People grow plants just fine with t8s and t5 ho fixtures without the use of UV. Im aware that UV is helpful, but in most cases not necessary. How does not using it make an led fixture not efficient than a fluorescent fixture that doesn't use it. I'm sure that using UV for either light source will make it better.
By nimbulan
Not to mention how expensive those Kind LED fixtures are, they make Kessil look cheap.

I'm curious why you place so much emphasis on UV light. From my understanding the standard fluorescent grow lights produce little if any UV and they work just fine. Why do you find it so important for LEDs?

On another note I found this brand last night http://www.supergrowled.com/products/ that looks like a reasonable solution for white light since Kessil's white fixtures are designed for aquarium use.
By JPowell490
earlgrey wrote:Can you elaborate on why utilizing led requires the use of UV? People grow plants just fine with t8s and t5 ho fixtures without the use of UV. Im aware that UV is helpful, but in most cases not necessary. How does not using it make an led fixture not efficient than a fluorescent fixture that doesn't use it. I'm sure that using UV for either light source will make it better.
Yes, you can grow these plants fine under what you are talking about, no doubt. However, T5/T8 emit 0 UV.

UV is important for coloration and growth. The flytraps will color up under UV because that is what the sun emits. A flytrap colors up based on how much exposure it has to the sun. Think of this coloration as a sunburn. Your skin darkens after it tans from the sun. After the tan, you retain darker pigmentation so that you can resist UV rays more efficiently.

The only LED on the market that mimics the sun, with true UV, is Kessil. I should be a salesman for them right? :lol:

All other LEDs like to advertise they have UV, but in reality, they only have the coloration of UV to mimic the black light type effect.

Image[url=https://flic.kr/p/rK256o]
By JPowell490
Ok,

So I was out posting that last one on my phone. Here are some better pics.

I purchased this GRUN from Matt. It came in this past Wednesday around 5:30 pm. I took this pic right after removing the top from shipping.

This is today, 3 days later. Notice the development of the large trap that was closed.

I purchased about 5 of these at the local greenhouse. I took this April 3rd, when I bought it. Now it is the 11th, so 7-8 days. Here is the pic of when I purchased it. It had a feint hint of red coming in the traps.

This is today, look at the DEEP red that has developed in the traps.

I will be expanding my research and collection soon!
By Brett
Nice Pictures
Could you please tell me the distance from the LED's to the plants, and maybe your thoughts on what is a good operating distance range. Thanks
By Brett
Hi again, BTW awesome pictures
I think you talked me into getting The Kessil, can you please confirm
that this one will work,as this one says Purple and Magenta and you said yours was Spectral Halo.
http://www.innovativegrowlights.com/Kes ... ksh380.htm
How much time do you think I should start with so I do not burn the Plants.

Can not Thank you enough
Brett
By JPowell490
Hi Brett, will respond in just a bit. I have a recommendation on purchase place as well.
By JPowell490
Brett wrote:Hi again, BTW awesome pictures
I think you talked me into getting The Kessil, can you please confirm
that this one will work,as this one says Purple and Magenta and you said yours was Spectral Halo.
http://www.innovativegrowlights.com/Kes ... ksh380.htm
How much time do you think I should start with so I do not burn the Plants.

Can not Thank you enough
Brett
Brett,

Yes that is the one, the H380. I was going to recommend going through another retailer, the one I buy from, but yours is just a few dollars cheaper. Make sure you tell them you want NEW, SEALED lights. I don't know this company, but some are bad to sell their customer returns.

If you want to know my source, drop me a PM.

Ok, you will want your new Kessils set to PURPLE and have them at 36 inches from your plants.

I run my lights from 6:00 a.m. In the morning until 6:00 pm at night. You won't burn them under that schedule if you follow it and don't deviate from the led height.

Let them hang and have space above the light for airflow and you can't miss. Keep it just like I said and you will have AMAZING plants in 2 weeks.

Ok on the end of this post. I have some VERY exciting news that will be coming upon a few weeks that will revolutionize the way things are done. It is my dream and I have worked very hard on it. Can't wait for you guys to see it.

Drop me a pm if you need more info. Or email me at JPowell490@gmail.com
Last edited by JPowell490 on Fri May 08, 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
By JPowell490
Ok, so I need to update you on the time to run a Kessil H380. I have been experimenting with these and different time lengths. 6:00 am to 9:30 pm is too long. The 380s are very powerful. I would run these a MAX of 6 hours a day and adjust from there. I have bleached a couple of traps that I was testing.
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!