FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Jade
My apologies for posting as I have read the suggested new grower posts and some from other people, but I still can’t tell if this is dying or dormant. Up until maybe late December or early January it was doing a lot better from what I could tell.

I didn’t put it outside for the winter as we can get below zero with wind chill sometimes and I read that it was okay to be indoors if that’s the case. It has stayed in the starter pot as I have never repotted a plant and I got it in October so I figured I should probably leave it until spring. I did read enough to realize that the middle is a flower stalk which I would love to turn into another plant if anyone thinks a beginner can reasonably do so. Distilled water only tried to keep it moist but not too wet. It did get too dry a couple times as I didn’t expect it to get dry that quickly. I didn’t prune because I have read that I should, that I shouldn’t, and that it doesn’t matter and I’m kind of unsure which advice to listen to. If I missed any important information feel free to ask, but advice on this plant and the flower stalk considering I am generally terrible with plants not for lack of trying?
By Jade
Sorry for the double post but it won’t let me edit and I’m trying to get the pics to upload. If that doesn’t work this time I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.
IMG_4707.jpeg
IMG_4707.jpeg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 827 times
IMG_4706.jpeg
IMG_4706.jpeg (3.66 MiB) Viewed 827 times
By Panman
It looks a little light starved. What kind of light is it getting? Flytraps need at least 6 hours of unobstructed (no windows) light per day or 12 to 16 hours of strong artificial light. What kind of water are you using? It should be RO, distilled, or rain water. I would also move it from a metal saucer to a plastic one. It doesn't need to be very deep. With that size pot, you don't want it sitting in more than 1/2 of water at any time, and you want the tray to dry out before watering it again.

As far as the flower stalk, cut it off as close to the plant as you can get it. You can then cut it into 2 inch sections and lay them on a pot filled with sphagnum or peat moss. Lightly cover them with the media and keep it constantly moist. If you can put it in a plastic bag, that is even better. Keep it in strong, indirect light, and it may strike in a few weeks.

Regarding pruning, once it has turned completely brown/black, it is okay to cut off. If it is green or yellow, except for the flower stalk, leave it attached.
Jade liked this
By Jade
Unfortunately I don’t have an unobstructed area to put it in right now. I’m planning to move furniture when I can get a little help, and I will have a window with great lighting after. If I do that soon do you think it can bounce back?

I have been using only distilled water. I fill the tray usually a bit under halfway up and I have been letting it completely dry before watering again. I will definitely get something plastic to put it in thank you for that advice.

I haven’t given it food in a bit because I read that digesting it took a lot of energy, and during the winter it shouldn’t be expending that much as it should be dormant. And I was feeding it a couple mushed up pellets of fish food which I read was okay (and also not okay, the info for VFTs is so confusing) because I live in Ohio and the weather has been back and forth but definitely too cold for insects and I assumed too cold for the plant.

When should I repot it? I figured spring if it was still going, but I wasn’t sure. Again read conflicting information on that. And thank you for all this help it’s greatly appreciated.
By Panman
I wouldn't worry about repotting it. A bright window is not going to be enough light. It needs to be outside, in a greenhouse, or under artificial lights. Unfortunately, there is no changing this fact. They grow in wide open spaces where they get full sun all day long.

Don't bother feeding it until you get the basics under control.
By Jade
I don’t have a greenhouse, is there a certain type of artificial light that I should be looking at? Not as in brand but more wattage and whatever else? By bright window I did mean as long as I had it on a stand it would get direct sunlight through the window. Or I can put it outside, but it’s still quite cold here.
By Panman
We'll have to get someone else to chime in on an appropriate light as the ones that I use are no longer available. If you can get it to limp along until it stays above 40 and put it outside, you will be better off. If it does go outside, I would repot it into a bigger pot so that it will hold more water.
By Jade
Sorry for the barrage of questions about this, and thank you for the patience in responding. Should I make a new thread to ask about lighting? And what pot size would you recommend for the plant and the pot size for the flower stalk?
By Intheswamp
In regards to a light, something like this "ceramic socket clamp light" and a basic LED 100-watt equivalent bulb would do pretty good. Some bulbs like "these floodlights" in the clamp light would be even better. But, you're looking at probably $25 if you go with the flood lights, or less if you go with the regular bulb. You would probably want it within 12" of the flytrap and let it shine for at least 12-hours a day. It wouldn't be perfect but it would help. :) Just a thought. Best wishes.
Jade liked this
By Jade
I’m definitely willing to spend extra for a better chance at getting this plant to last. And if I can’t manage I would like to try again with better planning so it would have a better chance in the winter months. Thanks very much for the recommendation.
By MikeB
Jade wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:23 pm is there a certain type of artificial light that I should be looking at? Not as in brand but more wattage and whatever else?
You can get by with one of these, just the one-bulb model. If you want some future-expansion insurance, get a multi-bulb model and just turn on the bulbs that you need.

Note: These bulbs get very hot even after just a few minutes. Don't touch them with your bare fingers unless you enjoy getting burned.
Jade liked this
By Jade
Ok great. So what you posted would be better than the flood lights previously suggested or about the same? I can clear a spot where the bulb won’t be at risk of being touched by anything so that works fine. Thanks for the help.
By Intheswamp
What Mike posted would work great. Sansi is quality stuff. Take in to consideration the *color* of the light when your shopping. Some of the growlights are what is called "blurple" lights...kind of a bluish purple color. I want to view my plants in about as normal of a light as I can...the blurple light doesn't appeal to me. But, the blurple lights are as good as white lights, maybe better(?), for growing the plants. I'm not sure of the color of that light so you might want to check that out if having a white light illuminating your plants matters to you. Some lights only have a slight blue tint, some are really, really, purple, some are yellowish, some are stark white, etc.,. My favorite light (and most expensive) is a Viparspectra XS1000...it is full-spectrum with a nice, slightly golden color to its light...it is big enough for several plants (within reason) but it is a panel light so needs two hanging points. ;)
Dan V, Jade liked this
By Jade
That is something I will definitely be considering moving forward. My current plant was a spontaneous buy, but I think I would enjoy getting more involved with carnivorous plants in general. For right now I am getting the Sansi, but it’s nice to see what others who have experience are using and advice on what to look into for future growth.
Intheswamp liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!