FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Intheswamp
Be careful. Be very careful. You're bordering on the edge of insanity. You may soon find that you've entered
Tzone.jpg
Tzone.jpg (17.54 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Jade liked this
By Jade
Lol! Pretty sure I stepped over that particular threshold awhile ago, but maybe there’s another layer I have yet to cross.
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:25 pm In regards to a light, something like this "ceramic socket clamp light" and a basic LED 100-watt equivalent bulb would do pretty good. Some bulbs like "these floodlights" in the clamp light would be even better. But, you're looking at probably $25 if you go with the flood lights, or less if you go with the regular bulb. You would probably want it within 12" of the flytrap and let it shine for at least 12-hours a day. It wouldn't be perfect but it would help. :) Just a thought. Best wishes.
You could get this for about the same money. https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Technology ... F0aWM&th=1
StephenB200+, Jade liked this
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:51 pm My favorite light (and most expensive) is a Viparspectra XS1000...it is full-spectrum with a nice, slightly golden color to its light...it is big enough for several plants (within reason) but it is a panel light so needs two hanging points. ;)
That is a good light for the price. However, if you at some point decide to go that route Mars Hydro, VIVOSUN and Spyder make some nice ones also with Spyder being top of the line.
Jade liked this
By Intheswamp
Ya know, those panel lights don't *really* need two hanging points. I think I just like the added stability of the second hanging point. ;)
Jade liked this
By andynorth
Intheswamp wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:57 pm Ya know, those panel lights don't *really* need two hanging points. I think I just like the added stability of the second hanging point. ;)
The 2 I have come with enough connections for 4 hanging points. I think it all depends on your own application. I am able to utilize 2 points after a little adjusting. Not sure how only 1 would work out.
By Intheswamp
My Yescoms hang from each corner by gym clips attached to the wire shelf above them…high-tech!!! :lol: The Viparspectas hang from two ceiling hooks with two Y-cables attached to the corners. It seems using a single hanging point would make the lights subject to spinning, swinging, etc.
By Jade
andynorth wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:47 pm
Intheswamp wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:25 pm In regards to a light, something like this "ceramic socket clamp light" and a basic LED 100-watt equivalent bulb would do pretty good. Some bulbs like "these floodlights" in the clamp light would be even better. But, you're looking at probably $25 if you go with the flood lights, or less if you go with the regular bulb. You would probably want it within 12" of the flytrap and let it shine for at least 12-hours a day. It wouldn't be perfect but it would help. :) Just a thought. Best wishes.
You could get this for about the same money. https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Technology ... F0aWM&th=1
I got a double Sansi with a timer coming tomorrow. I have a really bad memory sometimes so the addition of a timer is super worth a few extra bucks imo. I’m glad that a lot of people are suggesting Sansi though as it is affordable. Gonna need that kind of advice if I get to repot this one. If not definitely where to get the next one and then the repotting stuff.

Really hoping I can keep this one going. I’m weirdly attached to it tbh. :?
By Intheswamp
Jade wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 pm I got a double Sansi with a timer coming tomorrow. I have a really bad memory sometimes so the addition of a timer is super worth a few extra bucks imo. I’m glad that a lot of people are suggesting Sansi though as it is affordable. Gonna need that kind of advice if I get to repot this one. If not definitely where to get the next one and then the repotting stuff.

Really hoping I can keep this one going. I’m weirdly attached to it tbh. :?
I'm kind of wondering about the timer on this lamp. Is it a repeating timer? If it's 10am and I set it for 12 hours will it turn off at 10pm and then turn back on at 10am the next morning?
By Intheswamp
Okay, I got an answer on Amazon that the timer does repeat. You really can't set the time so if you want the timer to come on at 6am and stay on till 6pm you need to set the timer for 12 hours when your local time is 6:00am.

Something else I noted, which may not be an issue but seems to kind of limit the lamps placement... The gooseneck's height is 15.7 inches. If you clamp it to the edge of a shelf and have the plant sitting on the same shelf is there going to be enough height for the light to bend down over a 4 or 5 inch tall plant that is in a 6" tall pot and not burn the plant? In my mind it seems a little cramped. It will be interesting to see how it works. I know the Sansi bulbs are good ones, I'm just curious about these fixtures. My concerns are probably warrant-less. :)
By Jade
I didn’t even think of the repeating part, it’s nice to know it does. I figured it would be something I’d have to set an alarm to turn on and off.

The only thing that I thought was kind of an issue for me is that I was planning to clip it to a bookshelf to get some distance from the plant, but it seems from the comments like the neck might not be extremely sturdy going horizontally. I figured I’d have to try something else when I get it here and can see what I’m working with. If it slips in a horizontal position then the side of the bookshelf won’t be viable but I will figure something out.

Gotta figure for around $30 I’m probably not getting something that is long term at least for this particular job. Just fingers crossed it gets done what I hope for. If not then it’s my fault really for not going into this venture prepared, but I won’t make that mistake again.
By Intheswamp
Looking at this image (specs give the same gooseneck length for the 2-light version) gives an idea of the neck length of these...yeah, I think they'll need to be clamped at a higher elevation than the flat area the pots sit on. It looks like it might be holding the bulbs up fairly good in the photo, but real life will be the proof-in-the-pudding. ;) As for the investment, it looks like a handy light to have that later, when you put up more substantial lights that these will be good for those "this plant needs a bit more light" moments. :)
Jade liked this
Rain

Predicting up to 1-3” of rain from now(Fri 7[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

They arrived today! YAY! will get them planted out[…]

Got my Trader Joe's VFTs

I'd heard rumors around the forums that TJ's has s[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

To bad you can't make it. There is another meet up[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, Just wanted to see some photos of your Di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!